Friday, Sept. 20, 2024

IMG_7214.jpeg

Belles take a win after a close loss against Franklin

Katie Harrington's second-half goal made the difference for the Belles

After a close, 1-0 loss against Franklin, the Saint Mary’s soccer took a 2-1 win over the Anderson University Ravens. With this win, the Belles moved to 3-3 on the year, while the Ravens fell to 3-1-2.

Both teams fought throughout the first half, but during the 24th minute, Anderson took the early lead with its first goal of the night. The Belles didn't let that shake their confidence, quickly responding with a 33rd-minute goal from freshman forward Taylor London — her first collegiate goal.

The Saint Mary’s offense kept up the pressure in the second half, with senior forward Katie Harrington netting the Belles’ second goal in the 64th minute, assisted by freshman defender Danielle Escobedo. The Belles’ defense held strong, shutting down the Ravens to secure a 2-1 victory.

The Belles outshot Anderson 18-4 overall and 3-1 in terms of shots on goal. Senior midfielder Mary Kaczynski led on the field with five shots, senior forward Izzi Linus fired away alongside Kaczynski with four, senior midfielder Grace Barresi rounded out the night with three shots and sophomore midfielder Margaret Slove also finished with three shots. 

The Saint Mary’s soccer team now gets ready to host Manchester University this Saturday with kickoff at 11 a.m. 

Coming off of a tie against Olivet, the Manchester Spartans are currently 0-4-2 overall. Abigail Kohler and Grace Papazoglou lead for the Spartans, each having a goal for themselves. The two also lead with both having a shot percentage of .500 as well as both having a shot-on-goal percentage of 1.000.