Tuesday, Sept. 17, 2024

20120116, 20221008, Adrian, SMC Soccer, Sofia CrimiVaroli-3.jpg

Saint Mary’s soccer keeps momentum going

Saint Mary’s capped off a two-game home stand with a resounding 5-0 victory

Coming off of a win earlier this week, the Belles kept their momentum going, taking another win against the Titans of Indiana University South Bend.

The Belles jumped ahead early in the game scoring two goals in the first half. Senior forward Izzi Linus scored both to give the Belles a 2-0 lead. Junior midfielder Brynn Stauffacher and senior midfielder Grace Barresi both had assists in the first half. 

Not slowing down, the Belles kept the ball rolling, adding three more goals in the second half. Sophomore midfielder Margaret Slove put the third on the board for the Belles, extending the lead to 3-0 less than five minutes into the second half. Sophomore defender Brooke Baumann got the second of the half for the Belles. Finally, senior forward Katie Harrington contributed the final goal of the game, making the final score 5-0. Additionally, Linus, junior midfielder Grace Reyda, sophomore forward Layne Ridderman and sophomore midfielder Claire Keely all had assists in the second half. The Belles remained on top offensively and defensively the entire game, outshooting the Titans 25-3 and 17-0 in shots-on-goal. With the Titans unable to make a comeback, they fell to 2-2 on the season. 

The Belles now prepare for an away game against Franklin. The Grizzlies are currently 0-2-2 on the season thus far and have only managed two goals in their first four games. Maddison Claybrooke has the only team-scored goal, the other coming from a Wilmington own goal in the season opener. Lauren Barker is also a team leader on the field for the Grizzlies, pacing the team with a total of eight shots and two shots on goal for the season.

Saint Mary’s will visit Franklin Saturday with kickoff set for 2:30 p.m.