Thursday, Sept. 26, 2024

20220906, 20220906, Sam Godinez, SMC Volleyball vs. Trine-2.jpg

Saint Mary’s volleyball takes a hit against Manchester

Belles fall to 7-4 on the season after a hard-fought loss to Manchester

Tuesday night, the Belles volleyball team suffered a 3-0 loss against the Manchester Spartans. Despite the loss, the Belles battled through the entire night keeping the scores close.

In the first set, the Belles and the Spartans went back and forth trading leads. Although, the Spartans took advantage of a few mistakes made by the Belles to take the 25-22 win over the Belles. Freshman Kalli Lewkowski shined on the court finishing the set with four kills.

Both teams continued to battle heading into the second set, but Manchester came out on top with a close 25-23 win to push the overall score to 2-0 in favor of the Spartans. Lewkowski continued to lead the team, adding five more kills. Sophomore Abby Reese tallied eight assists for the Belles, and junior Karli Fegan finished the second set with nine digs.

The Belles did not let the first two sets crush their spirit, going into the third and final set of the night. After going back and forth, Manchester managed to maintain the lead starting around the middle of the set and didn't look back. The Spartans rounded out the night with a 25-21 win over the Belles, making the final overall score 3-0. They finished the night having a total of 15 or more kills in every set against Saint Mary’s.

Lewkowski finished the night with a team-high 12 kills. Reese brought her assist number up to 15, Fegan tallied 11 digs and junior Delaney Martin finished with multiple service aces. 

The Belles go on the road next, as they head to Terre Haute, Indiana to compete in the Rose-Hulman Invitational. They will face Anderson on Friday at 7:30 p.m. before a Saturday doubleheader against Illinois College at 11 a.m. and Rose-Hulman at 1 p.m.