Monday, Sept. 16, 2024

IMG_7214.jpeg

Saints pick up first home win of the season

Early offense, tandem goalkeeping get Holy Cross to 2-3-0

The Holy Cross women’s soccer team played its first game of September on Tuesday, defeating Goshen by a 2-1 score. The victory marked the Saints’ first at home in 2024 and advanced them to 2-3-0 on the young season.

Despite Goshen controlling a significant chunk of the game, Holy Cross found a way to hold on and win. The Maple Leafs outshot the Saints by a 17-6 margin, firing off 12 attempts down two goals in the second half. Holy Cross, however, used two different goalkeepers who combined for seven saves to turn Goshen aside. Sophomore Payton Ladson stopped three shots before giving way to freshman Madeleine Agee, who denied four Goshen efforts.

The Saints’ offense, which had started the year slowly with two goals in its first four games, snapped into life early on Tuesday. Sophomore defender Abigail Fouts broke the scoreless seal with her first goal of the season in the 20th minute. Not long after, freshman center midfielder Cameron Fallacara notched the first goal of her career, helping Holy Cross to a 2-0 lead prior to halftime.

In the second half, Goshen knocked on the door numerous times in search of a comeback, but the breakthrough arrived too late. Alessandra Aguilera scored on a penalty kick in the 88th minute, trimming the Holy Cross advantage to 2-1. After that point, the Saints only needed two-and-a-half minutes of stout defense to reach a win. And they reached it, dropping the Maple Leafs to 0-5-0 on the year.

Up next, the Saints will hit the road for two games before returning home on Sept. 21. Holy Cross will travel to Lourdes on Saturday for a 4 p.m. kickoff and conclude the away swing with a visit to Saint Francis on Sept. 17.