Monday, Sept. 16, 2024

IMG_7213.jpeg

Saints rally too late in 5-3 loss to Huntington

Holy Cross home opener breaks out into a goal-scoring frenzy.

On Saturday, the Holy Cross men’s soccer team took the field for their home opener against Huntington. The Saints’ highest-scoring match since 2021 ended in a 5-3 victory for the visiting Foresters. Huntington tallied multiple goals in both halves, riding a brace and five-point night from Dilesh Matel. Holy Cross, meanwhile, now holds a record of 1-3-0 entering September.

Both offenses jumpstarted in rapid fashion midway through the first half. Huntington found the opening goal in the 25th minute, as Joao Ratinho bested junior goalkeeper Isaias Rubio. However, just 51 seconds later, senior forward Juan Perez evened the score with his fourth goal in four games. But the tie lasted only 100 additional seconds, disappearing on Patel’s first goal of the afternoon.

At halftime, the Saints made a goalkeeping change, rolling out freshman Logan Kelly for the final 45 minutes. In those second-half minutes, Huntington peppered him in search of insurance. The Foresters forced five saves from Kelly while also depositing three goals in a 13-minute stretch early in the half. Garrett Klefeker (55’), Patel (58’) and Sam Dolobaipu (67’) each scored, blowing the game open in Huntington’s favor. Entering the final 10 minutes, the Foresters led by a 5-1 score.

But that score wouldn’t hold, as the Saints found several consolation attacks down the stretch. In the 84th minute, sophomore right back Anthony Panayiotou notched his first goal of the season. Less than six minutes later, sophomore center midfielder Nolan Sperring tacked on his third goal of the year, paying off an assist from Perez. While the three Holy Cross goals did not amount to victory, they perhaps injected some energy into a Saints offense that had scored only one time in its first three games.

Up next, the Saints will play another home match when Goshen comes to town on Wednesday. First touch is set for 6 p.m. at Holy Cross College.