Wednesday, Sept. 18, 2024

image000002.JPG

SDB hosts their ninth annual mosaic event

On Thursday evening from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m., students gathered on Saint Mary’s Alumnae Green for Mosaic Night, hosted by the Student Diversity Board. According to the student event website, Belle Tower, the event was for the campus community to “learn more about different clubs on campus that uplift diverse voices and have conversations to get to know one another.”

The theme of the Student Diversity Board this year was bees. A sign close to the Student Center read “buzz around, explore the hive” to encourage students to take place in the event.

Senior Angelina Wright, vice president of the Student Diversity Board, explained why the event is called Mosaic Night.

“We are all different, but we all come together. That is what the stained glass in a mosaic stands for,” Wright said.

At the event, clubs and organizations spread out themed decorations on tables representing their respective clubs near the green’s sidewalks, each of them encouraging their classmates to learn about their clubs and what they stand for. Some of the clubs included in the Mosaic event include the Asian American Pacific Islander Club, Black Student Association, First Gen Fam, Nursing Students Alliance for Inclusion & Diversity, Feminists United, Sexuality and Gender Equality (SAGE), Spanish Club and Around the World Club. 

Junior Ava Hess, a member of both Feminist United and SAGE, shared the “organizations are working hard to reach as many students as we can to create the most inclusive campus that we can.”

“To be able to come and spread awareness about the inclusive community … was what we were excited about,” Hess said.

Students who checked into the event received tickets they could exchange for food from the different food trucks that lined up in the parking lot near the Student Center. Students could be seen sitting or walking with friends and eating food such as Caribbean wings, paletas, boba tea, fruit cups, chicharrones, corn cups and more.

Many students enjoyed the free food there, including sophomore Ava Swistowicz, who described the paletas, which are Mexican ice pops, as “so brat summer green.”

“The food is what got me here, but I am happy I got to learn about some of the clubs on campus,” sophomore Rose Lopez, said.

Others have expressed their positive thoughts about the event and being able to come together as a community. 

Student Diversity Board president, junior Chinaza Ezechikamnayo, has also expressed her gratitude for the Mosaic tradition at Saint Mary’s.

“I’d like to thank the executive team, SDB and all the clubs and organizations on campus that came to support this event,”  Ezechikamnayo said.

Mosaic has been a yearly event since 2015, making 2024 the ninth consecutive Mosaic Night at the College. 

Wright shared that she hopes each year it “gets better and that more people know about it.”

image000001.jpg
The theme for the annual mosaic was bees, which was shown with a sign that read “buzz around, explore the hive” to encourage students to look around at the event.