Thursday, Sept. 26, 2024

IMG_9018.jpeg

Senate addresses dorm events, announces deputies

Events for Breen-Phillips, Howard and McGlinn Halls are upcoming

The Notre Dame Student Senate met on Wednesday to discuss signature events organized by the residence halls.

Student body vice president Maeve Miller started the meeting by urging attendants to follow @ndstugov on Instagram, where important events and opportunities are announced. Parliamentarian Thomas Musgrave joined Miller in leading the meeting alongside student union secretary Eileen Burger.

“First-year class elections have been completed,” Musgrave said. The freshman class council is composed of one representative from each residence hall.

McGlinn senator Lindsey Lark announced that she was involved in legislation on Rockne Memorial.

“We are working on some things with university policy,” Lark said, inviting anyone who has ideas to contact her and work with her on the project.

Information on class events were reported next, including the sophomore Spikeball tournament and the annual senior paintball tournament which will be held Oct. 3. A senior class mass with Fr. Pete McCormick will be held Oct. 8.

Announcements on dorm events began with Ryan Hall’s Wheelchair Basketball tournament, a fundraiser for River City Challenged Athletes, which takes place Oct. 5.

Breen-Phillips Hall will host Hoops for Hope, a three-on-three basketball tournament later on the same day. The event was promoted as a fundraiser for the Congregation of Sisters of the Incarnate Word, and is hosted on the bookstore basketball courts.

Howard Hall senator Laura Clements declared that Howard’s signature event, Totter for Water, will take place Sept. 26 on South Quad. The proceeds will go to Engineers Without Borders. The senator donned a duck suit as she made her announcement.

Fisher Hall’s Car Smash concluded the event promotions. The event is Sept. 27 and raises money for students of South Bend’s St. Adalbert Elementary.

New deputy parliamentarians sophomore Paige Weniger and freshman Sam Robinson were announced at the end of the meeting.