Thursday, Sept. 19, 2024

20240914, football, Purdue, Richard Taylor, Ross-Ade Stadium.jpg

Stock up, stock down: Miami (Ohio) week

Notre Dame blew in-state rivals Purdue off the field in Week Three

On Saturday, Notre Dame came up with a much-needed response in West Lafayette against their in-state rival Purdue, cruising to a 66-7 victory over the Boilermakers. After taking a 42-0 lead into halftime, the Irish only needed their second and third units to run out the clock. The game was already over. Head coach Marcus Freeman’s team once again proved they can come back from a loss, but whether or not they can handle success remains a question. Returning to South Bend in Week Four to face Miami (Ohio), the Irish will have another opportunity to get their first home win against a MAC school this season. If they want to give a home crowd left devastated in the opener something to cheer about, they best not waste it. Every game is a must-win if playoff hopes are to be kept alive. Here are some of the team’s active strengths and weaknesses in this week’s edition of Stock Up, Stock Down.

Stock up: Jeremiyah Love and the rushing attack

After being the only bright spot in the loss against NIU, sophomore running back Jeremiyah Love’s stock continues to skyrocket. When Notre Dame beat writer for The Athletic Pete Sampson asked an NFL scout next to him in the press box who he was there to see, he responded with: “No. 4. Best player on the field, both teams.” Love is growing into a star week by week, and the college football world is starting to take notice. On just 10 attempts, he managed 109 yards rushing and a touchdown, his best statistical performance of the season. But looking beyond the stat sheet, he showcased his vision and elusiveness between the tackles, as well as his blistering top-end speed during a 48-yard dash to the end zone. However, Love was not alone when it came to success on the ground. Senior quarterback Riley Leonard’s output was not far behind, totaling 100 yards on 11 attempts and a whopping three touchdowns. Junior Jadarian Price added 86 yards and a touchdown of his own, rounding out one of the more promising backfield partnerships in the nation. As a team, the Irish rushed for 362 yards in the game, with 278 of them coming in the first half alone, a truly dominant display. As the young offensive line continues to grow in confidence, look for Notre Dame to continue leaning further into the rushing attack this weekend. 

Stock up: The defensive line

One would not expect the offensive line of a MAC school to push around a Notre Dame defensive line full of experienced talent, but that is exactly what happened against NIU. They needed a better performance against a new and improved Purdue offensive line that allowed only two sacks in Week One, albeit against FCS competition Indiana State. Thankfully for the Irish defense, they came to play on Saturday, combining for four sacks and putting quarterback Hudson Card under pressure all afternoon. For a group that had only one sack heading into West Lafayette, it was a game of firsts for multiple Irish linemen. Graduate student Jordan Botelho, senior Jason Onye and sophomore Boubacar Traore all logged their first sack. Graduate student Rylie Mills' pressure led to a pick-six that was hauled in by Traore, and Onye broke up a pass leading to another interception for freshman linebacker Kyngstonn Viliamu-Asa. The line wreaked havoc for the Boilermaker offense and will need to maintain their high level in the weeks ahead for this Notre Dame defense to be truly elite. 

Stock up: The quarterback room

Controversy surrounding an injury to Riley Leonard’s non-throwing shoulder begged questions about his status for the game and whether or not his dual-threat ability would be limited. Leonard responded by rushing for 100 yards and three touchdowns. Despite having yet to throw a passing touchdown this season, Leonard decimated the Boilermaker defense with his legs and showed why the offense was built around him as the starter. With the game already out of reach, junior quarterback Steve Angeli took the reins coming out of halftime. In his five drives at the helm, he went 6 for 9 with two touchdown passes including Notre Dame’s first of the season. Sophomore quarterback Kenny Minchey got in on the action as well, finding the end zone on a quarterback draw in his first and only drive. Freshman quarterback CJ Carr, arguably the best prospect in the room, was the only one left out, kneeling and running out the clock on his only drive. However, the Irish not only got a Riley Leonard resurgence but also a glimpse into an exciting future at the quarterback position.   

Stock up: Mental toughness 

Exasperated Notre Dame fans have every right to ask, “Where was this last week?” But with how embarrassing the NIU loss was for the Irish, it takes guts to respond in the way this team did: in a resounding fashion. While Freeman has a well-documented history of terrible losses, he seems to have just as many displays of resilience in the face of adversity. While the pressure to win is not going anywhere, and Notre Dame has a lot to prove before they are off the hook for their slip-up, taking over from start to finish against Purdue was a step in the right direction. 

Stock down: Health

Notre Dame’s triumphant victory was massively tainted by several important casualties on both sides of the ball. A right knee injury in the second quarter interrupted an outstanding performance from Jordan Botelho. On Monday, Freeman announced that he would be out for the season. The graduate student vyper was off to a great start in 2024, recording 12 tackles, a sack and three QB hurries. His injury, however, will mean more playing time for Traore who broke out on Saturday with a sack and pick-six. The sophomore has flashed throughout the young season, leading the Irish in tackles for loss (3). On the other side of the ball, junior starting center Ashton Craig suffered a left knee injury that will also sideline him for the season. Junior starting right guard Billy Schrauth also went down with a right ankle injury that will keep him out for multiple weeks. The two had each started the previous six games dating back to last season. Senior Pat Coogan replaced Craig, making his first-ever start at the center position, and graduate student Rocco Spindler took over at right guard. While the Irish have the luxury of experienced depth at the position, losing two key pieces of the budding offensive line will be a significant blow, one they will have to overcome to create offense against better competition than Purdue.

In three games, the Irish have swung from a monumental high to a catastrophic low and right back to another high. To fulfill their playoff aspirations, however, they will need to become a steady winning machine for the rest of the season. That journey continues with an opportunity to get revenge against the MAC at home in Week Four.