Sunday, Sept. 15, 2024

1.jpg

Students gather on South Quad for Morrissey Manor game watch

Thousands of students enjoyed free food, games, and Irish football, despite a few flying hot dogs and surprise sprinklers.

Students gathered on South Quad Saturday evening to watch the Fighting Irish football team beat Texas A&M, bringing out picnic blankets and dorm furniture to get a comfortable view of the big screen.

The event was hosted by Morrissey Manor and drew a crowd of around 2,000 to 3,000 students. Students were treated to free hot dogs, bratwursts and cookies. 

Hall president Patrick Murphy and Paul Mattiola, both juniors at Morrissey Manor, explained that the game watch is the dorm’s signature event. “We budget for about 2,000 to 3,000 people,” Murphy said. “We bought about 3,000 hot dogs and brats and 1,500 cookies for this specific event. It cost close to $3,000.”

Another Morrissey Manor senior, Sean Mullery, shared his experience as part of the grill team. 

“The grill team is great. We have cookouts most Fridays during the fall, so we’re always out there making burgers and dogs,” Mullery said. “It’s just a great time for all of us to come together in community. I love the Morrissey game watch, it’s like one of the biggest parts of our culture.”

The grill team plays a vital role in making the game watch a success, and Mullery expressed his excitement about their contribution. 

“We’ve been out here grilling since 5 p.m. We’ve cooked 1,200 hot dogs and 800 brats. We’ve been killing it. It’s going to be a great event,” Mullery said.

The tradition of the game watch began around six years ago, started by a rector of Morrissey Manor who wanted to create a larger event for the Notre Dame community. 

"It used to be just Morrissey guys hanging out, watching the first away game,” Mattiola said. “Our old rector said we should just do this big [event], and now it’s turned into an annual thing.”

In addition to the projector showing the game, the event featured a field goal contest where students could participate for a chance to win prizes. 

"If someone makes a field kick, they get a raffle ticket,” Murphy said. “The raffle ticket goes into a pool, and that person could win a $50 gift card for Yaz’s. We’re trying to evolve this event into something bigger than ourselves.”

The game watch also serves as an opportunity for freshmen to get involved early in the school year. 

“This is a great opportunity for freshmen to come out, watch the game together with the entire campus,” Mattiola said. “It’s a chance for everyone to come together, have free food, watch the game and just have a good time on a Saturday night.”

Despite the occasional flying hot dog or unexpected sprinkler shower, students remained in high spirits throughout the night. 

“Everyone is welcome—there’s free food, you bring your futon, you have a good time, you watch the game, and hopefully, the Irish win,” Murphy added.