Monday, Oct. 7, 2024

Glee Club Web.jpg

Glee Club’s 109th reunion concert: They’ve still got it!

Last Friday, the Notre Dame Glee Club hosted a unique and heartwarming gathering of over 200 alumni at their triennial alumni reunion show in the Leighton Concert Hall of the DeBartolo Performing Arts Center. This one-of-a-kind event was a beautiful display of unity, where past and present members came together to reminisce and perform alongside each other, creating a truly memorable evening for their friends and family. 

The evening began with a Glee Club classic, “Tonight” from West Side Story, a performance that never fails to impress. The club’s current director, Daniel Stowe, introduced the emotionally charged “Crux fidelis” by composer Giovanni Bonato, a modern twist on a Gregorian chant, with a note that it was still a work in progress. If the work-in-progress version of a song can stir such deep emotions, the final version promises to be truly breathtaking, evoking a profound connection with the audience.

After a few more Glee Club staples, the audience, including the alumni, stood up and joined the club in a rendition of “Ave Maria,” arranged by Franz Biebl. Then, alumni joined the club on stage for the rest of the concert, becoming an integral part of the performance, fostering a sense of unity and community engagement that is at the heart of the Glee Club’s mission.

It’s a testament to the training the men receive in the Glee Club that over 200 alumni can join the choir on stage and blend together incredibly, a true reflection of the club’s legacy and the unwavering dedication of its members. After a short intermission, the Glee Club and the alumni came back on stage to perform the rest of the concert together.

There were several touching tributes to Glee Club members who have died, as well as classic Notre Dame numbers. Matt McDonald (‘01) was a standout soloist in “The Water is Wide,” arranged by fellow classmate and Glee Club member Patrick Quigley.

It wouldn't be a Notre Dame event without a bit of pandering to the Irish, so there was an incredible rendition of “Danny Boy” which was so full of emotion that I found myself tearing up. 

They ended the night with a series of songs of Notre Dame, including “Hike Notre Dame,” “Irish Blacks/Down the Line” and the “Notre Dame Victory March.” The audience stood up for the alma mater and sang along with the club. 

As always, the Notre Dame Glee Club performance was incredible and only heightened by the inclusion of the alumni.

If you missed this concert, don't worry — the club has more in store for you. They will perform again in December at their annual Christmas show and are planning an exciting tour in the Pacific Northwest, Ontario, Canada and Spain. They will also be performing Shostakovich’s Symphony No. 13 with the Notre Dame Symphony Orchestra later this year, promising a series of thrilling performances. Personally, I can’t wait to see more of them.