Wednesday, Oct. 9, 2024

OBS_7680-Edit.jpg

Grace Hall’s No. 1 sign serves as a reminder of tradition

A student-driven tradition celebrates athletic victories by lighting up whenever the Irish claim the top spot

Perched atop Grace Hall, Notre Dame’s iconic No. 1 sign lights up green, symbolizing more than just a numerical ranking. It represents a storied tradition of athletic achievement, campus pride and student initiative that has endured for decades.

Originally constructed by Grace Hall residents out of two-by-fours and Christmas lights, the No. 1 sign has become a familiar fixture on the Notre Dame campus skyline. According to Tim O’Connor, brand program director for Notre Dame Athletics, the tradition dates back to either the late 1980s or early 1990s. Though the exact year is debated, its purpose is clear. 

“The sign was originally put up by the residents to celebrate football being ranked number one nationally,” O'Connor said. “It wasn't a planned thing by the university; it was [a] grassroots, student-driven initiative.”

Grace Hall, once a men’s dorm, became home to this tradition as a symbol of student enthusiasm for Notre Dame athletics. For years the sign was exclusively lit for football accomplishments. But over time its purpose expanded. Now, the sign lights up whenever any Notre Dame varsity team is ranked number one in the nation or wins a national championship.

The sign is currently lit for the Notre Dame men’s lacrosse team, who won a national championship last year. 

“It will stay on all season, as is the tradition whenever one of our teams wins a national title,” O’Connor explained. “It’s a visible reminder of their achievement, and it’ll stay lit until the team’s next season begins in the spring.”

One of the key moments that marked this shift was in 2000, when the Notre Dame women’s basketball team defeated UConn in a pivotal game, earning a number one national ranking.

“That was a huge win for the team, and I think it was around that time that people realized the sign could celebrate other sports, too,” O’Connor said.

While the No. 1 sign may symbolize great achievement, its operation is low-tech. 

“There’s a point of contact in athletics who knows when it’s supposed to be lit,” said O'Connor. “They make the request, and then someone from the Grace Hall staff plugs it in. It’s pretty simple.”

While the sign may have been upgraded slightly over the years, it remains largely unchanged since its creation. 

“It’s definitely not some complex, high-tech system,” O’Connor said. “It’s a little bit old-school, but that’s part of its charm.”

As with any long-standing tradition, keeping the No. 1 sign relevant and meaningful is key to its longevity. O'Connor believed that traditions only last as long as the current generation cares about them and that preserving the story behind the sign is essential.

“Culture is funny,” he said. “Traditions like this only last if people understand and care about them. If enough students forget what the number one sign means, or if it’s not explained properly to new generations, it could easily fade away.”

He also emphasized the need for students to take ownership of traditions, and for those traditions to adapt to changing times.

“Traditions are about more than just doing the same thing over and over,” O’Connor said. “They’re about doing something repeatedly because it means something to you. Every generation of students needs to create their own culture, too. Twenty years from now, there might be something completely different that students care about as much as this.”

While O’Connor is confident that the No. 1 sign will remain a part of Notre Dame’s athletic identity, he’s open to the idea that new symbols may emerge over time.

“There’s no reason the number one sign needs to stop being a thing,” he said. “But as time goes on, students might find new ways to express their pride and traditions. That’s what makes campus culture so interesting — it evolves with every generation.”

For now the sign remains an emblem of Notre Dame’s athletic excellence. Whether it’s celebrating a football national championship or honoring the top-ranked lacrosse team, the number one sign continues to light the way for the Fighting Irish.