Monday, Oct. 14, 2024

1696369518-3a4de3eba7cb164-700x467

Irish defense happy to have Joshua Burnham back

With an injury-riddled defensive line, Notre Dame will need Burnham’s contributions

Hailing from Traverse City, Michigan, the cherry capital of the world, Joshua Burnham decided to commit to the University of Notre Dame on March 17, 2021. In high school at Traverse City Central, Burnham played all over the field. Whether it was linebacker, running back or quarterback, when Josh was on the field he was making plays. His versatility and size led him to earn four-star recruit status. He also led Traverse City Central to two state semifinal appearances.

After a stellar high school career, Burnham enrolled at Notre Dame in January of 2022. He redshirted his freshman year but was able to make his debut for the Irish against Boston College due to the new four-game redshirt rule. His redshirt freshman year, Burnham saw consistent play. He played in all 13 games, including the Sun Bowl against Oregon State where he stopped a fake punt which seemed to have changed the tides in Notre Dame’s favor. 

With Burnham’s versatility on defense as a defensive lineman, pass rusher or outside linebacker, Notre Dame had high hopes for Burnham going into his redshirt sophomore year. However, on Sept. 7 against Northern Illinois, Burnham injured his left ankle. He missed two consecutive games against Purdue and Miami (Ohio). He then saw limited to no action against Louisville two weeks ago.

Despite lots of pain leading up to the Stanford game, he told head coach Marcus Freeman: “There’s no way I’m not going to be able to play.”

Not only did Burnham want to return, but the team needed him. Notre Dame lost graduate student Jordan Botelho and sophomore Boubacar Traore, both edge rushers, to injury. With those injury woes, Burnham’s return was much anticipated and needed for the Irish defense.

Burnham returned from injury on Saturday for the rivalry game against the Stanford Cardinal. Not only did he return, but Burnham returned with a bang. Against the Cardinal, he recorded five total tackles, two solo tackles and a tackle for loss. He also contributed a huge impact play with a recovered fumble. While technically a fumble, Burnham actually tipped a pitch attempt up in the air and then caught it. He almost even made it into the endzone but was tracked down after a 15-yard run back.

“He’s an athlete. [He] caught the ball — that goes back to his offensive days,” Freeman said of Burnham’s impressive defensive play. “It’s a gutsy performance because there are times in the week that you watch him, and it’s like he is practicing on one leg.”

The fumble recovery also sparked the Irish team to go on a run as they scored three touchdowns in a row after Burnham’s big play.

When asked where he was at health-wise, Burnham said, “We’re 100%, we’re good to go.” He also noted at the postgame press conference that he didn’t feel any nervousness upon his return.

“I think it was more excitement [than nervousness], for sure … finally being able to go out there and play with the boys, it was awesome.”

With the season-ending injuries that this Irish defense has had this year, Burnham is taking on a larger role than fans might have expected. But Burnham has risen to the occasion. Even though he was dealing with an ankle injury, it seemed like nothing could keep him off the field. Having great performances from him on the edge as he delivered against Stanford will be crucial for the Irish and their success going forward.