Wednesday, Oct. 16, 2024

1.jpg

Dorm kitchens offer late-night food options, camaraderie for students

Student-run food services in Duncan, Morrissey, St. Edward’s Halls provide snacks for students

Beyond a community to live in, many of Notre Dame’s halls offer student-run kitchens that provide convenient late-night meals. From smoothies to smoked meats to quesadillas, these dorm kitchens serve as a gathering spot for students across campus.

St. Edward’s Hall has built a following with its rotating menu of snacks and casual atmosphere.

“This year, we’re serving paninis, pizza sticks, mozzarella sticks, milkshakes, smoothies and we just added chicken nuggets — both spicy and regular,” sophomore Garret Hanlon said.

The kitchen operates from 10 p.m. to midnight on most nights, with longer shifts on Sundays. Students can pay with cash or via PayPal and the service has become a go-to for late-night cravings.

Morrissey Manor, another dorm with a popular kitchen, is focused on smoked meats and macaroni and cheese. They are also known for their rotating milkshake flavors.

“Each day has a different milkshake flavor. Today is Oreo, and people love it. Other favorites include mint chip and cinnamon toast crunch,” sophomore Caleb Vaughan said. 

Most customers are Morrissey residents, but Vaughan noted that collaborations with other dorms like Badin Hall have increased traffic.

Dawg Pizza, Alumni Hall’s student-run food service, offers a variety of frozen foods, including pizzas, chicken nuggets and mini corn dogs. The most popular item is the Pep Stick  — a breadstick stuffed with cheese and pepperoni.

Logan Lucas, a junior working at Dawg Pizza, described the signature food option. 

“It’s simple but a crowd-pleaser. We also offer a chicken bacon ranch version, where we cut up chicken nuggets and serve it with ranch for dipping,” Lucas said.

The service operates from 10 p.m. to midnight, giving students a convenient option for late-night snacks.

“It’s mostly guys from our dorm who come down, but we’re always happy to welcome people from other dorms,” Lucas said. “It’s a great way to build community, meet new people, and have a quick meal.”

Students can pay using cash or cards thanks to a recently added card reader. Lucas also described how hectic the work can be during busy nights. 

“When we get a big rush, especially early in the night, it can be stressful,” Lucas said. “But it’s a good opportunity to get to know the other guys in the dorm and bond over the shared experience.”

Duncan Hall takes a different approach, offering quesadillas, nachos and their signature item — the Dubuff. Sophomore Gabriel Angaiak described the Dubuff as cheese, chicken and buffalo sauce. They also offer a quesadilla with chicken, bacon and ranch.

Duncan’s kitchen is a favorite among residents but also attracts students from other dorms who study in Duncan or have heard about its reputation. Payments are made through Venmo or cash, and like the kitchens at St. Edward’s and Morrissey, Duncan’s operation is entirely student-run. 

“Nothing comes from the hall itself — it’s all run by residents,” Angaya said. 

Students work one shift per week, typically lasting two hours, with the kitchen open from Sunday through Thursday.

Angaya appreciated the job’s flexibility and the camaraderie it fosters. 

“It’s cool working here and we’ve made some changes to the menu this year that really work for the Duncan Hall community,” he said. 

Freshman Nathan Koo, a recent fan of Duncan’s food service, echoed Angaya’s sentiments. 

“We had hall council early in the year and everyone wanted to buy one of the Dubuffs. It’s great food — quality stuff,” Ku said.

Ku’s go-to order is the Dubuff, but he takes it up a notch.

“I get two Dubuffs, which is basically four quesadillas’ worth of chicken, cheese, hot sauce and goodness. It’s a lot, but it’s amazing,” Ku said.