Monday, Oct. 7, 2024

IMG_4758.jpeg

Micah Shrewsberry scores top-rated quartet of 2025 recruits

According to 247Sports, the Irish currently hold the top 2025 recruiting class in America

With still a month remaining between now and hoops season inside Purcell Pavilion, Notre Dame men’s basketball has captured the attention of Irish fans over the last two weeks. Head coach Micah Shrewsberry and company have landed three four-star players and a five-star player (according to 247Sports) from the 2025 recruiting class. As a result, the Irish currently carry the top-ranked class in the 247Sports 2025 Recruit Basketball Team Rankings.

The headliner prospect, five-star guard Jalen Haralson, selected Notre Dame over Indiana and Michigan State on Sept. 25. Hailing from La Lumiere School, the same northwest Indiana powerhouse that produced 2022 Irish five-star recruit JJ Starling, Haralson checks in at No. 10 in the ESPN 100 for 2025. At 6-foot-7 and 210 pounds, Haralson appeared at the FIBA U17 World Cup over the summer, contributing averages of 11.1 points and 4.0 rebounds en route to a gold medal with Team USA.

In a July evaluation of Haralson, 247Sports Director of Scouting Adam Finkelstein described him as “a playmaking big wing, and maybe even a jumbo initiator, who combined terrific perimeter size, strength and measurables along with the ability to create for himself and others.” Finkelstein also noted Hatalson as “increasingly powerful and seeing correlated gains with both his athleticism and physicality” while identifying his inconsistent shooting as a key to his development.

Four-star power forward Brady Koehler committed to Notre Dame two days earlier, bypassing solid programs like Iowa, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest and Northwestern. Koehler stands at 6-foot-8 and slots in as the No. 114 prospect in the 247Sports class of 2025 rankings. He is another in-state get from Cathedral High School in Indianapolis. There, Koehler took a big step forward last year, averaging 15.5 points and 6.5 rebounds per contest as a junior.

Fellow four-star Ryder Frost made his move to Notre Dame on Sept. 27 with additional offers from Iowa, Michigan, Virginia Tech and Wisconsin. Known best as an elite shooter, the small forward ranks at No. 97 on the 247Sports class of 2025 prospect list. He stands at 6-foot-6 and attends Phillips Exeter Academy in New Hampshire.

Finkelstein also assessed Frost in July, identifying him simply as “one of the best shooters in high school basketball.” As he eventually makes the transition to South Bend, Shrewsberry and the Irish coaching staff will look to expand his modes of impact on the game even further.

Notre Dame most recently picked up a third four-star, Tommy Ahneman, a center from Cretin Derham Hall in Saint Paul, Minnesota. Nebraska, Iowa, DePaul and Furman also offered Ahneman, but the 6-foot-10, 235-pounder committed to Notre Dame on Sept. 30.

Haralson, Koehler, Frost and Ahneman will next year join an up-and-coming Notre Dame program already full of youth. With sophomores Markus Burton and Braeden Shrewsberry returning in the backcourt, the Irish hold one of the ACC’s highest-potential guard tandems. According to 247Sports, the Irish also enter the 2024-25 season with the 26th-best freshman class, consisting of four-star small forward Sir Mohammed, four-star shooting guard Cole Certa and three-star power forward Garrett Sundra.