Wednesday, Oct. 2, 2024

lesly-juarez-gNYQxI5ufII-unsplash.jpg

Here’s how each MLB team stands in their division heading into the postseason

The 2024 MLB postseason began on Tuesday, Oct. 1

I appreciate baseball just as much as any other baseball fan or baseball player even though I play a different sport (softball). I am interested in how each team finished in their division, looking at their win-loss numbers and winning percentage heading into the postseason. 

AL East

The Yankees hold the No. 1 spot in the AL East division. New York finished the season with 94 wins and 68 losses for a .580 regular season winning percentage. Finishing in first, the Yankees also clinched the division and hold the best record in the American League. 

Finishing in second place and sneaking into the playoffs as a wild card, the Baltimore Orioles hold the No. 2 spot in the division, finishing with 91 wins and 71 losses. The Orioles also finished with a .562 winning percentage heading into the postseason. 

The Boston Red Sox clinched the third spot in the AL East conference with an equal number of victories and defeats: 81 wins and 81 losses. The Red Sox finished with an even .500 winning percentage. 

The Tampa Bay Rays (I’ve been to one of their home games) finished fourth and failed to make the postseason. The Rays finished out the regular season with 80 wins and 82 losses and a winning percentage of .494. 

Last but certainly not least, the Toronto Blue Jays round out the AL East division in fourth place. The Blue Jays ended the season with 74 wins and 88 losses and finished with a .457 winning percentage.

AL Central

Clinching the division, the Cleveland Guardians hold the first spot in the AL Central division, rounding out the season with 92 wins and 69 losses and a winning percentage of .571.

Thanks to the wild card, the Kansas City Royals made the postseason after finishing second in the division. They wrapped up the season with 86 wins and 76 losses. The Royals also finished with a winning percentage of .531.

The Detroit Tigers round out the top three in the AL Central conference. The team finished the regular season with 86 wins, 76 losses and a winning percentage of .531 but lost the tiebreaker to the Royals. The Tigers also made the playoffs as the third wild card. 

The Minnesota Twins took the fourth spot in the division with a total of 82 wins and 80 losses. They finished out the regular season with a winning percentage of .506.

The Chicago White Sox did not look too hot throughout the regular season, winning just 41 games and losing a record-breaking 121 games. The White Sox finished the season with an overall winning percentage of .253.

AL West

Dominating in the AL West division, the Houston Astros hold the top spot after the end of the regular season with 88 wins, 73 losses and a .547 winning percentage. 

The Seattle Mariners clinched the second spot with a .525 winning percentage from 85 wins and 77 losses. 

In third, the Texas Rangers finish with 78 wins, 84 losses and a .481 winning percentage. The Rangers miss the playoffs after winning the World Series last season.

Fourth place brings up the Oakland Athletics. The A’s finished their final season in Oakland with 69 wins, 93 losses and a .426 winning percentage. 

Fifth place in the division is held by the Los Angeles Angels. The Angels rounded out the season with 63 wins, 99 losses and a winning percentage of .389 after losing Shohei Ohtani in free agency.

NL East

Clinching the division, the Philadelphia Phillies take the No. 2 seed in the National League postseason bracket. The Phillies finished the regular season with 95 wins, 67 losses and a .586 winning percentage. 

Second place goes to the Atlanta Braves, who made the playoffs as a wild card. The Braves finished out the regular season with 89 wins, 73 losses and a .549 winning percentage. 

Rounding out the top three in the NL East, the New York Mets take third with 89 wins, 73 losses and .549 winning percentage. The Mets claimed the third and final wild card spot.

The Washington Nationals took fourth place in the division with 71 wins, 91 losses and a winning percentage of .438.

Finishing out the division, the Miami Marlins ended the regular season with only 62 wins. The Marlins totaled 100 losses and a win percentage of .383.

NL Central

The Milwaukee Brewers took the division crown by winning 93 games, losing 69 games and finishing with a .574 winning percentage. 

The Chicago Cubs (my team!) took second place in the NL Central with 83 wins, 79 losses and a .512 winning percentage.

Third place goes to the St. Louis Cardinals, as they finish their regular season with 83 wins, 79 losses and a .512 winning percentage, losing the tiebreaker to the Cubs. 

The Cincinnati Reds take fourth place, rounding out the season with 77 wins, 85 losses and a .475 winning percentage.

The Pittsburgh Pirates head into the offseason with 76 wins, 86 losses and a winning percentage of .469.

NL West

In the NL West division, the Los Angeles Dodgers take the top spot with 98 wins, 64 losses and a .605 winning percentage. The Dodgers also hold the best record in the National League. 

Earning the top wild card spot, the San Diego Padres finish the regular season in second place in the division with 93 wins, 69 losses and .574 winning percentage.

The Arizona Diamondbacks hold the third spot with 89 wins, 73 losses and a winning percentage of .549. 

In fourth place are the San Francisco Giants. They finish their season with 80 wins, 82 losses and a .494 winning percentage. 

The Colorado Rockies struggled throughout the season, finishing last in the division with 61 wins, 101 losses and a .377 winning percentage.