Wednesday, Oct. 2, 2024

11112023, Dome, God Quad, Main Building, Sofia CrimiVaroli, Sorin Statue, Website Photos.jpg

Notre Dame ranks 18th in U.S. News & World Report 2025 college rankings

U.S. News ranks Notre Dame 18th nationally, but students and faculty highlight its community and mission beyond academics.

On Sept. 24, U.S. News & World Report released their 2025 edition of college and university rankings, placing the University of Notre Dame at 18th in the nation. This marks an improvement for the school, which tied with Rice University and Vanderbilt University, moving up two spots from its position in last year’s rankings.

According to the U.S. News website, the ranking methodology combines a variety of factors, including retention rates, graduation rates and financial data. The most heavily weighted factor is “peer assessment,” a measure of how a school is regarded by top administrators at other institutions, which accounts for 20% of the overall score.

While the U.S. News rankings are the most commonly referenced by prospective students, they are not the only influential list. Other notable rankings include Forbes and Niche, where Notre Dame is currently ranked 42nd and 26th, respectively. Forbes focuses on postgraduate success, while Niche incorporates factors such as campus life, safety and student experiences to give a more comprehensive view of the university.

For many Notre Dame students, these rankings play a role in their decision-making process, but they are not the sole factor.

“Notre Dame is a place where I felt I could get the best possible education,” freshman Nick Martin said. 

Martin, who is majoring in electrical engineering, pointed to Notre Dame’s academic reputation and highly-ranked programs in areas such as business, engineering and architecture as key influences on his choice.

Still, for other students, factors beyond academics are central to their decision to attend Notre Dame. The university’s religious identity, community atmosphere and commitment to the common good were recurring themes in student interviews.

“National rankings are only able to consider a limited number of factors,” said Fr. Kevin Grove, a theology professor at the university. “Other key aspects of Notre Dame — community, communion and dedication to the common good — will never fit neatly into magazine rankings.”

Notre Dame is one of only three Catholic institutions ranked in the top 40, alongside Georgetown University and Boston College, and is the only religious institution in the top 20. The Catholic mission of the university is reflected in its required theology and philosophy courses.

For many, this combination of academic rigor and spiritual depth is a defining characteristic of Notre Dame. Nate Moore, a student who chose Notre Dame for its religious identity, emphasized the importance of a faith-based education in his decision.

“[It was] mostly the religious factor,” Moore said. “I wanted a Catholic base for education.”

While academic prestige and rankings will continue to be a point of pride for the university, for many members of the Notre Dame community, the value of their education goes beyond the numbers.

“It’s cool to see that [the ranking] keeps moving up, but I don’t really focus on it or care too much about it,” Moore added. “I don’t care about the number, it’s more about the culture.”