Thursday, Oct. 3, 2024

IMG_6489.jpeg

Notre Dame student senate approves amendments and fills leadership positions

Senate redefines off-campus residents

The Notre Dame student senate met Wednesday to pass amendments to the Notre Dame constitution and approve new orders.

A resolution to amend Articles III, IX and XV of the constitution was passed to redefine off-campus residents as local off-campus residents.

Farley Hall senator Justice Walker made an argument against the amendment, citing its lack of necessity.

“Re-defining off-campus residents as local off-campus residents would not make any substantive change to the current practice as everyone already has the correct interpretation of the word off-campus in mind,” Walker said.

The senator for off-campus students, Walker Bagley, was in favor of the change.

“Students studying abroad during the school year are not focused on here by using off-campus residents. Thus, changing it to local off-campus [residents] brings that clarification needed,” Bagley said.

Cavanaugh Hall senator Irvine Assoumou added that the issue of defining the off-campus constituency had been brought to the senate before.

“I am part of the committee of the constitution so I was already aware of the change and voted for it,” Assoumou said. “It makes sense considering a previous case that was brought forth [to] judicial council a few years ago about abroad students running for election, so it makes sense to add that change.”

Following the resolution change to local off-campus residents, an order was approved that mandates the hall presidents council (HPC) to compile a list of dorm restaurants. The list will include the name of the restaurant, the associated dorm, its hours of operation and information on food and pricing.

Nominees for peer advocates were voted on and approved by the senators. Emma Vales, former president of Ryan Hall, was elected to serve as junior council vice president.

New announcements from dorm representatives around campus included the Flaherty Hall 5K color run to raise funds for breast cancer research on Oct. 6, a biweekly Spanish Mass by Howard Hall and the Student Union Board’s fall concert featuring The 502s on Friday.

Molly Swartz, the president of the junior council, also noted the closing of ticket sales for the Junior Formal tonight, reminding juniors to buy their tickets for the event.

Student body president Dawson Kiser announced several upcoming events supported by student council, including Pray and Eat Like St. Francis at World Peace Plaza in front of Saint Mary’s Lake tomorrow from 7 to 8:30 p.m. He also mentioned Disability Awareness Month tabling on Friday which aims to provide information about campus resources advocating for individuals with disabilities.