Wednesday, Oct. 9, 2024

image1 (11).jpeg

Saint Mary’s LGBTQ+ Center celebrates third anniversary

Center continues to foster inclusivity for students and staff

Saint Mary’s LGBTQ+ Center marked its third anniversary on Monday with a celebration that included charcuterie, vegetables, cupcakes, soda and music. Students and faculty came together to commemorate the milestone for the space dedicated to fostering inclusivity on campus.

Redgina Hill, vice president of equity and inclusion, played a role in the creation of the center, which opened in 2021 as part of College President Katie Conboy’s inauguration.

“It was such a healing moment for our current students, faculty, and staff, as well as for those from the past,” Hill said. “We had alumni from across the state and surrounding areas return to see the space. Some cried, telling me and others in the department they never thought they’d see the day we had a space on campus.”

Hill emphasized the importance of the center in providing a safe space for LGBTQ+ individuals at Saint Mary’s.

“The center signals to students, faculty, and staff that we care for our LGBTQ students and queer community here, despite the challenges we may face,” Hill said. “We’re committed to supporting those students who are here now, looking to come, or those employees who work here.”

Senior Phoenix McClellan, who identifies as nonbinary, was present for the opening of the center and expressed how impactful the space has been.

“They built the LGBTQ Center my freshman year, and it’s one of the safest spaces on campus,” McClellan said. “It feels good to be part of a bigger community, and Saint Mary’s does a lot to help ensure that [the] community thrives.”

The center recently welcomed a new assistant director, Eli Williams, who has plans to make the space an even more integral part of campus life.

“I want the center to be a place where students can be their full selves,” Williams said. “They can do their homework, socialize, have group meetings, or just take a nap — whatever they need. The space belongs to everyone, not just LGBTQ+ students.”

Many students, including McClellan, are excited for the new direction under Williams.

“Eli could bring better, more applicable training,” McClellan said. “Having an actual queer person leading makes a difference, and I think whatever Eli does will help us move forward.”

The LGBTQ+ Center’s third anniversary highlights its role in building a stronger, more inclusive community for all at Saint Mary’s.