Tuesday, Oct. 8, 2024

1539216696-adc1548d49fa8b3-700x425

Saint Mary's volleyball splits with a win and a loss

Belles win Morgan's Message Match

This past weekend, the Saint Mary's Volleyball team went one for two as they took on the Hope College Flying Dutch on Saturday and the Beloit College Buccaneers on Sunday.

Hope College

On Saturday, the Belles faced off against Hope College but unfortunately took the 3-0 loss against the Flying Dutch.

In the first set, Hope dominated on the court taking the 25-7 win over the Belles. The Flying Dutch took advantage of a 13 point run to gain control of the set. The Belles finished the set with four kills, two of which were from sophomore Caroline Carens.

The two teams battled back and forth heading into the second set but the Flying Dutch came out on top taking the 25-15 win over Saint Marys. The Belles' offense improved during this set with Carens tallying five more kills and freshman Kalli Lewkowski adding five of her own kills to the board. 

The final, and closest, set of the match went in favor of the Flying Dutch as they took the 25-22 win over the Belles. The Belles were unable to secure a win for the match but put pressure on the Flying Dutch, forcing nine errors. 

Carens led the Belles on the court with a total of ten kills throughout the match, sophomore Abby Reese finished with 14 kills, freshman Giuliana Graczyk added on 10 kills of her own and junior Delaney Martin added on a total of 14 digs.

Beloit College

After their loss to Hope, the Belles came back on Sunday to take a 3-0 win over the Beloit Buccaneers in the annual Morgan's Message Game. Morgan's Message is a non-profit that works remove negative stigmas around student-athlete mental health. 

The Belles dominated in the first match winning 25-15. Graczyk finished the set with seven assists and Reese totaled six assists. 

The Buccaneers and the Belles went back and forth during the second set to try and take the win but the Belles came out on top with a 25-19 win. Graczyk continued to lead on the court adding nine assists.

During the final set, the Belles overpowered Beloit to take the third set win 25-11. Graczyk continued to lead, adding six more assists to create a season high of 22 assists during a match as well as leading the Belles in digs having ten overall. Carens also led on the court with ten digs.

Now 8-9 on the season so far and 0-2 in conference play, the Belles get ready to host Trine University at 7pm on Wednesday.