Thursday, Oct. 3, 2024

20220906, 20220906, Sam Godinez, SMC Volleyball vs. Trine-2.jpg

Saint Mary's volleyball takes a close loss in conference opener

The Belles fall to 7-8 after a loss to Alma continues a six-game skid

After an unsuccessful weekend at the Rose-Hulman Invitational, the Belles dropped their conference opener 3-2 against the Alma Scots. 

Both teams battled back and forth for the lead during the first set. The Scots gained three service aces to help take the 26-24 win over the Belles. Senior Calli Allen led the team with four kills and freshman Giuliana Graczyk contributed with eight assists.

Heading into the second set, the overall game play looked almost the same as the first with both teams battling each other for the lead. Alma managed to pull ahead late in the set to gain the 26-24 win and make the overall score 0-2. Allen and freshman Kalli Lewkowski both finished the set with seven kills, and both sophomore Abby Reese and Graczyk added double-digit assists with Reese totaling 11 and Graczyk with a match-high 14.

The Belles looked to mount a comeback as they took a 25-22 win in the third set. They finished that set with a hitting percentage of .429. Lewkowski doubled her kill total to 14 and Reese doubled her assist total to 23.

They kept the momentum going into the fourth, taking a 26-24 win to tie the overall score at 2-2. Lewkowski added four more kills during this set and Reese contributed 13 assists. 

Heading into the fifth set, the two teams were on fire, going back and forth for the lead. Ultimately, the Scots emerged with the 17-15 win and a 3-2 final score.

Lewkowski led the Belles with a team season-high 23 kills, sophomore Caroline Carens followed with 14, Allen finished with 12 and junior Delaney Martin rounded out the double-digit kill group for Saint Mary's with 10. Reese finished with a career high 47 assists to lead the Belles and Graczyk added 16. Allen totaled 24 digs, junior Karli Fegan had 18 and both Reese and Martin finished with 16. 

The Belles head back on the road to face Hope College at noon this Saturday.