Friday, Oct. 18, 2024

1693925217-72c3a5fd36e8583-700x370

Belles take a hit against Trine in MIAA home opener

Saint Mary’s played close early but couldn’t outlast Trine

After a win earlier in the week over Beloit, the Saint Mary's volleyball team took a 3-1 loss against the Trine Thunder in Wednesday's annual Dig Pink Game.

Both teams fought for control during the first set, but despite the Belles outhitting Trine, the Thunder pulled ahead to secure a 25-22 win.

In another back-and-forth battle, Saint Mary's made a comeback during the second set as it took a 25-22 win over the Thunder. The Belles applied pressure on the Thunder, forcing seven errors that helped secure their second set victory.

Trine came back during the third set, dominating with a 25-14 win. The Belles only managed five kills while Trine used the advantage of 11 kills to take the win, bringing the overall score to 2-1 in favor of Trine.

As both teams battled during the fourth set for the lead, the Thunder came out on top with a 25-20 win over the Belles with a hitting percentage of .308. 

Sophomore middle hitter Caroline Carens and freshman outside and middle hitter Kalli Lewkowski led the team with 13 kills each on the night. Sophomore setter Abby Reese led with 20 assists, while freshman setter Giuliana Graczyk added 14. Junior libero Karli Fegan led in digs with 21, and senior outside hitter Cali Allen contributed with 10 digs. 

Following this match, the Belles prepare to host Calvin for the annual Red Glasses game on Tuesday, Oct. 15, at 7 p.m.