Monday, Oct. 7, 2024

IMG_7213.jpeg

Saints women’s soccer takes a win, men’s team ties at Viterbo

Strong defensive performances helped the Saints get results on the road

This past weekend, both Holy Cross soccer teams played with the women’s team taking a 1-0 win over the Viterbo V-Hawks and the men's team tying 1-1 against the V-Hawks.

Women’s game

Advancing to 5-6 on the season so far and 3-1 in Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conference play, the Saints women’s soccer team took a 1-0 win over Viterbo on Saturday.

The Saints jumped ahead in the first half, scoring their first and only goal of the game at the 35:24 time mark thanks to senior forward Jennifer Requeno and an assist from junior midfielder Neyda Macias. While the V-Hawks outshot the Saints (18-6) and had more shots on goal (8-3), the Saints showed a strong defense and managed to keep the score 1-0 over the V-Hawks. Freshman goalkeeper Madeleine Agee led defensively for the Saints with eight saves to help Holy Cross stay ahead. 

With this win, the Saints prepare to face St. Ambrose on Oct. 12 with kickoff set for noon. 

Men’s game

Now 3-5-4 on the season so far and 0-1-3 in conference play, the men’s soccer team rounded out its game against the V-Hawks in a 1-1 tie. 

Both teams scored during the first half of the game. Holy Cross made the first goal at the 4:18 time mark thanks to sophomore defender Fabian Velazquez and an assist from senior defender Martin Von Thun to give the Saints a 1-0 lead. However, the V-Hawks made a quick comeback, putting their own goal up on the board at the 9:05 time mark to tie the game at 1-1. With neither team scoring during the second half, the game finished in a 1-1 draw.

The V-Hawks out shot the Saints (19-3) and totaled more shots on goal (4-1), but thanks to the Saints’ strong defense, the Saints were able to hold the V-Hawks at one goal.

With this result, the Saints get ready to host Olivet Nazarene on Tuesday, Oct. 8 with kickoff set for 3:30 p.m.