Friday, Oct. 11, 2024

IMG_6429.jpg

Washington Hall to finish extensive renovations

Since May 2024, students and visitors may have noticed utility trucks and construction signs surrounding Washington Hall. The historic building has undergone a major renovation during the past few months and is scheduled to be completed by Friday, Oct. 19.

Washington Hall sits next to the Main Building as one of the most historic buildings on Notre Dame’s campus. It was built in 1881 to replace the Music Hall that burned down in 1879. Ornate artwork lined most available surfaces in the auditorium, depicting the Greek god Dionysus, lavish laurel wreaths and a portrait of George Washington, the building’s namesake. This was the work of Louis Rusca and Luigi Gregori, a late professor at the University and famous Vatican painter who also painted the Basilica and the Main Building.

Sofia Nelson ‘25 has fond memories of the building during her time in PEMCo. The building is, she admitted, not without its faults. She recalled the curtain being broken during all of the musical shows she performed in, and stories of a bat that threatened to cancel a rehearsal.

“I remember there were big swooping paintings. They were beautiful, but very old and faded,” Nelson said.

A lot has happened to the building in its 143-year history, including a 1956 renovation in which Notre Dame painted over the artwork with primarily beige artwork.

But now, the auditorium is being restored. Companies Conrad-Schmitt Studios and Ziolkowski Construction have been working since May 20, putting up scaffolding, uncovering the murals and touching up on paint.

This has involved a lot of guess work for the companies. Renovators have looked to an 1895 photograph of the auditorium as a guide to restoring the paintings and piecing together the images that remain.

Screenshot 2024-10-10 11.52.29 AM.png
Renovators for Washington Hall have looked to an 1895 photograph of the auditorium as a guide to restoring the paintings and piecing together the images that remain. Courtesy of the University of Notre Dame.

Bryon Roesselet, a senior artist and architectural conservator for Conrad Schmitt Studios, said in a Notre Dame Magazine article from August, “On the ceiling, I expected if we were really lucky, there’d be maybe 40 percent of (the 1890s decor) still there, and we’re closer to 80 or 90 percent.”

Kat Van Vleet, the facility manager for Washington Hall and Stepan Center and assistant director in the Student Activities Office, is impressed by the grand scale of the renovation.

“I have worked in Washington Hall for more than twenty years and have been present for previous work in this building, but I’ve never seen a renovation project of this scale,” she said. 

This transformation involves more than just the paintings. The auditorium is also receiving a broad upkeep including new flooring, new seats and new house lighting and speakers. This has brought a third company, TPC Technologies, onto Notre Dame’s campus to work on lighting and install new speakers.

The space will soon be open for student groups to be able to enjoy it. Saint Joseph High School will be the first group using the space to put on its traditional annual play. The first University student group production will be the cultural show, “Asian Allure,” on Nov. 1 and 2. 

“We average at least one event a week during the academic year, ranging from musicals and dance shows to residence hall events and cultural shows. There’s something on our calendar for just about everyone. We’ve been supporting the arts in the heart of campus for more than 140 years and will continue to do so for many years to come,” Van Vleet said.