Thursday, Oct. 10, 2024

Why Gabriel LaBelle is up next

The “Saturday Night” movie poster alone was enough to get me excited about this one. With the 50th season of SNL currently underway, the Jason Reitman film follows the first episode of “Saturday Night Live” in 1975. Comedy kings like Chevy Chase, John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd are depicted in this upcoming film that will be widely released in theaters Oct. 11. While the movie features a large cast (I’m particularly excited for Dylan O’Brien as Aykroyd), the famed SNL writer and producer, Lorne Michaels, is played by the lesser-known Gabriel LaBelle. Despite opposition from others within the production, Michaels is tasked with driving the premiere forward and tries to navigate a tumultuous opening night of potential pitfalls. 

Who is Gabriel LaBelle? The 22-year-old actor from Vancouver played parts in “The Predator” (2018) and the TV show “American Gigolo (2022) before his first major role in Steven Spielberg’s “The Fablemans” in 2022. He plays a young Sammy Fableman inspired by Spielberg’s childhood memories. This performance garnered significant attention and marked him as a potential rising star in the coming years. After this film, he co-starred in the modest teen movie success “Snack Shack” (2024) earlier this year. LaBelle plays Moose, a charismatic and enjoyable best friend to the protagonist whose charisma jumps off the screen. 

Let’s say that you could buy stocks in actors and actresses just like the stock market. For LaBelle, all analysts would indicate a buy on his stock. While early recognition from Spielberg in “The Fablemans” was a positive first step, this buy rating is largely due to his recent performance in “Snack Shack”. His frenetic energy as Moose blew the other actors off the screen. From the opening gambling scene, it’s clear that his best friend A.J. (played by Conor Sherry) does not possess the same charm as Moose, a continuous theme throughout the movie as the pair fix up a local snack shack and stumble into adventures together. His performance is reminiscent of Corey Feldman as Mouth in “The Goonies” (1985). Even though he’s not the story’s hero, he wins over the audience with quotable one-liners and funny reactions. From young Sammy Fableman to the ever-energetic Moose to Lorne Michaels, he’s already displaying acting versatility for someone in their early twenties. 

This upcoming role is likely LaBelle’s most challenging one yet. The young actor is tasked with leading a movie full of experienced actors about the beginning of one of America’s most beloved TV shows. SNL’s staple in American entertainment will likely draw his biggest crowd yet. This role is much different from LaBelle’s previous characters and shows how quickly he is ascending the ranks of young actors in dramatic and comedic roles. This impressive range gives him several career paths to explore in years to come. While he has had success in the past, “Saturday Night” will give LaBelle a chance to showcase his talents as a leading man, likely leading to higher celebrity status and leading roles in the near future. It’s time to learn his name. Gabriel LaBelle is up next.