Categories
News

Fr. Edward ‘Monk’ Malloy looks back on 50 years of coeducation

Former University President Fr. Edward “Monk” Malloy remembers a time when Notre Dame used to bus in women from Catholic women’s colleges in the Chicagoland area to help create a more balanced social scene. A bus would be welcomed onto campus by male students who knew none of the women. After the awkward introduction, the students would go to a dance, Malloy recalled.

“That was not what you would call a prime opportunity for meeting people,” he said.

Malloy, who graduated from Notre Dame in 1963 before entering the seminary and eventually returning to the University as faculty in 1974, has witnessed almost all 50 years of coeducation at the University.

Sixty-three years ago, he experienced life as a basketball player at an all-male Notre Dame. Forty-eight years ago, he started teaching theology at a Notre Dame that had admitted its third undergraduate female class. Thirty-five years ago, he began his tenure as University president, during which he oversaw the University becoming about evenly split between male and female students. Three months ago, he delivered the homily at the “Golden is Thy Fame” Mass honoring the 50 years of coeducation at Notre Dame.

During Malloy’s time as a student, the presence of Saint Mary’s created a de facto coeducational scene. However, with typical enrollment at Saint Mary’s hovering around 1,400 to 1,600 students, this was not an adequate alternative to coeducation for Malloy.

“There weren’t enough women,” he said. “But I mean, it was the best we could do at the time. We didn’t even know any better.”

In 1969, Saint Mary’s and Notre Dame began talks to potentially merge the two schools. The deal eventually fell through in 1971. Malloy said he believes Notre Dame’s transition to coeducation was a result of the merger failing.

“My opinion is that both schools do well, despite the fact they didn’t come together,” Malloy, who was on the Saint Mary’s Board of Trustees for nine years, said.

When Notre Dame admitted its first undergraduate female class a year later in 1972, 325 women enrolled. The vast difference between male students and female students presented its fair share of social and administrative challenges, Malloy said. With single-sex housing, he said there was no choice but to gradually increase the number of women and reduce the number of men.

Whenever a men’s dorm was switched to a women’s dorm, the men would often protest. These protests were usually somewhat humorous, Malloy remembers, because the men knew they were not changing the administration’s mind.

Beyond the difficulty of pushing the male students out of the dorms in which they had developed traditions and a sense of loyalty, Malloy said classes often only had one female student.

“The classic wrong thing to ask one woman in a big class is ‘what do women think about this,’” he said.

Malloy said his female students never let the challenge hinder them from participating.

“They used to say that if a class was less than 50 percent women, they wouldn’t talk much. I never saw that, never,” he said. “Right from the time I started teaching, women were highly participative.”

The University also struggled to find female faculty members in some disciplines, who administrators hoped would help the female students navigate college.

Having women faculty members, especially in student affairs, was important so new female students could connect with adults on campus, Malloy explained. Incorporating women into all the colleges across the University proved difficult, Malloy said.

“That’s a recognition that as we move to be more coeducational, we were in a sense catching up with the world because they were way ahead of us,” he said.

As the University began to hire more female faculty and enroll more female students, women entered more prominent roles on campus. The amount of female deans and administrators and vice presidents grew. During Malloy’s time as president from 1987 to 2005, the male-to-female student ratio became about even. Visible student groups like the band and the Junior Parents’ Weekend planning committee followed.

Malloy credits the amount of Notre Dame women who have gone on to prominent roles in the public sphere after college with improving the reputation of the University.

“We’ve had women government leaders. We’ve had All-American athletes and national champions. We’ve had people go on to successful careers in almost every area you can think of,” he said. “So it isn’t just filling holes or trying to just be diverse in census categories. It’s also the people that we’ve attracted have been quite good at what they do.”

During his homily at the “Golden is Thy Fame” Mass, three of the six Notre Dame women Malloy highlighted for representing the University well were athletes. Two of the women he included were national champion and All-American basketball player Ruth Riley and her teammate and fellow All-American Niele Ivey, who now serves as the head coach of the women’s basketball team

“They got a lot of publicity, they represented Notre Dame very effectively,” Malloy said.

The final athlete Malloy highlighted was Haley Scott DeMaria. DeMaria was a member of the 1992 swim team, which suffered a tragic accident when the team bus flipped over during a snowstorm while returning from a meet at Northwestern. DeMaria survived but was paralyzed from the waist down.

Malloy credits his predecessor, Fr. Ted Hesburgh, who launched the transition to coeducation, for putting Notre Dame in the position where women such as Ivey, Riley and DeMaria could come and launch their careers and legacies.

“I think that Notre Dame is now able to educate women and men at the greatest Catholic university in the world,” he said. “I think that’s good for Notre Dame and it’s good for those who come here to study.”

Categories
News

Saint Mary’s appoints four new vice presidents

President Katie Conboy announced Aug. 17 that the College successfully recruited “four experienced Vice Presidents to the College leadership in the last nine months.”

Holly Johnson was hired as vice president of advancement, Lori Johnson ’91 was hired as vice president for student enrollment and engagement, Julianne Wallace, D.Min. was hired as vice president for mission and Barbara May is the newly appointed provost and senior vice president. 

The Observer spoke to the four women about their experience before coming to Saint Mary’s and what it means to join the College community.

Holly Johnson — Vice president of advancement

By Cathy Doherty

Holly Johnson was hired last October to become the new Vice President of Advancement at the College. 

A graduate of Indiana University, Johnson majored in nonprofit management and has been in the business ever since.

“I’ve been doing fundraising since the day I got out of college,” Johnson said. “It’s my passion.”

As Vice President of Advancement, Johnson is responsible for focusing on external factors, such as working with donors, alumnae and students, as well as social media and the College’s website.

By working closely with these groups, Johnson is able to fundraise and increase revenue for the college.

Johnson attributed joining the Saint Mary’s community to President Katie Conboy and the Revere and Revise strategic plan.

“I felt so excited to come and do this work with a President who had such a beautiful strategic plan in place, and a roadmap for the next eight years,” Johnson stated. “That’s really hard to find.” 

The Revere and Revise plan maps out what the College hopes to accomplish by 2030 and is featured on the College’s website.

When asked what she loves most about her job, Johnson said one of the events she loves most is reunion week.

“All the alumnae come back to campus, and you see how much they love the institution.” Johnson stated. “It just reminds you why we do what we do.”

Johnson said the College is in a silent phase of a comprehensive campaign. 

She is focusing on partnering with constituents to work towards fulfilling the Revere and Revise strategic plan. She said she is looking forward to working with her team to make Saint Mary’s stronger and hopefully celebrate the success of Revere and Revise in eight years.

Lori E. Johnson — Vice president for student enrollment and engagement

By Chancelor Gordon

Newly appointed Vice President of Student Enrollment and Engagement, Lori E. Johnson, recently began her role at Saint Mary’s in which she executes numerous responsibilities regarding the Saint Mary’s experience for prospective students to graduating seniors. 

Johnson describes her position as “[requiring] a holistic approach to student recruitment, engagement, and support so we can better deliver on our mission to educate students of all backgrounds for lives of purpose and service.” 

Gaining experience throughout her career in higher education, Johnson said she hopes she can equip students for success at the College and while mobilizing resources to advance Saint Mary’s mission.

“This new role allows me to bring all of that experience to lead one large division of talented and dedicated staff to advance our mission and partner with our students on their journey to help them fulfill their goals and aspirations,” Johnson said. 

Being an alumna and previously working in academic affairs at Saint Mary’s College, this position holds a special place in Johnson’s heart. 

“Today I feel fortunate to have an opportunity to give back in a meaningful way and to be part of preparing the next generation of women leaders,” Johnson stated. 

Johnson eagerly began her role excited to learn more about the students and faculty along with the opportunity to do her part in furthering the growth of Saint Mary’s. 

“I couldn’t be more thrilled to be back home at Saint Mary’s,” she said. “I hope you embrace all of the opportunities in the curriculum, outside of the classroom, across the tri-campus community and in South Bend.”

Reminding students to reach out to her, Johnson spoke to the challenges that come with growth.

“Do not forget that growth also comes from struggle, so try to embrace that,” she said. “I want to hear from you often about your experience, including when you are celebrating a success, pondering a big decision or question or in need of a listening ear.”

Julianne Wallace — Vice President for Mission

By Cora Haddad

Vice president for mission Julianne Wallace D.Min. said she starts her day in awe of The Avenue, which leads her to what she most recently calls her workplace.

“As I drive down the avenue every morning, I still cannot believe I have the opportunity to work at Saint Mary’s,” Wallace stated. 

Hired in August of this year, Wallace talks about her first few weeks on campus.

“One of my favorite moments thus far has been at our first-ever convocation event before classes started,” Wallace recalled. “Many from our student body gathered for a fun-filled energetic event to start our semester off on a high note. I was amazed at the support and camaraderie between our students.” 

Wallace spoke about her hopes for her position.

“To be a VP for mission means being a relationship builder, a communicator, a strategic administrator and a charismatic leader” Wallace said. 

Wallace explained that she is working with her first all-female team and comments on how excited she is to work with these senior leaders.

“My job as the mission officer is to encourage communication around our mission, create opportunities for mission education and integration across campus and support the various mission initiatives within the administration” she added.

After her series of interviews, including meeting with Saint Mary’s College President Katie Conboy, and President of the Sisters of the Holy Cross, Sister M. Veronique (Wiedower), Wallace spent a day on campus. 

She recalled how she fell in love with Saint Mary’s after her visit to campus.

“I also spent a day on campus meeting with various campus constituencies, such as direct reports, close collaborators and fellow administrations,” Wallace described. “It was a long day — but totally energizing! After I finished the final round of interview, I was convinced that Saint Mary’s was where I wanted to be.” 

Wallace’s job includes not only Saint Mary’s College, but the Sisters of the Holy Cross as well. She also covers interaction with the tri-campus community, stating her hopes for building community between mission leaders.

“I hope that our tri-campus community, through our respective mission leaders, can work on building and articulating the Holy Cross charism throughout our community,” Wallace said. 

Above all, she urges the prioritization of Saint Mary’s mission.

“I hope to empower all our faculty, staff and students to see themselves in our mission of providing a Catholic women’s residential and liberal arts education!” Wallace said.  

Barbara May — Senior vice president and provost

By Riley Kostic

At the beginning of August, Saint Mary’s president Dr. Katie Conboy welcomed Dr. Barbara May to her leadership team as senior vice president and provost. 

May comes to Saint Mary’s after having served at the College of Saint Benedict and Saint John’s University in Minnesota for 16 years. For 10 years, May was a biology professor, but made the switch to administration where she held the position of academic dean for six years. 

May says that working in an administrative position allowed her to experience new leadership.

“… I found that at the higher level, at the administrative level, you get to have an influence in a larger way, whether it’s through curriculum or support for students, you’re influencing those offices and programs and you can do so in very positive ways,” she said.

With previous experience at liberal arts schools, Saint Benedict and Saint John’s, a college for women and a college for men respectively, May was drawn to those same aspects at Saint Mary’s. 

“The word I hear a lot here which I truly appreciate is that empowerment — empowering women, giving them the confidence to be leaders and to graduate as lifelong learners, and to take risks,” she said.

As senior vice president and provost, May has a passion for serving students and creating an environment that will best serve them now and in the future.

“… From my perspective, I would love to leave ensuring that we have the right programming for students … that is going to allow them to propel themselves into … whatever career they’re interested in, passionate about, or that doesn’t even exist yet.”

Cathy Doherty

Contact Cathy at cdoherty01@saintmary.edu

Chancelor Gordon

Contact Chancelor at cgordon01@saintmarys.edu

Cora Haddad

Contact Cora at chaddad01@saintmarys.edu

Riley Kostic

Contact Riley at rkostic01@saintmarys.edu

Categories
Viewpoint

Fall is here, but I swear, summer is forever

Perhaps the start of fall isn’t marked by last Thursday’s Autumnal Equinox at 9:04 p.m. Eastern Time — maybe it’s the August 30 return of the Pumpkin Spiced Latte to Starbucks, or the day the box fans start to disappear from dorm room windows. Maybe it’s the first chill of fall you feel on an overcast day on campus or the slow, painful retirement of your flip-flops. However you define this shift, it’s happening, and everyone’s feeling it. 

Although I want nothing more than to embrace the turn of the new season, I find myself holding on for dear life to the summertime. On chilly late-night Grotto trips and sweatshirt-clad walks to DeBart, I’m thinking about legendary nights with hometown friends and summer romances. I’m thinking about saturated sunsets and mountain air and feet-dangling-out-of-car-windows. But whenever I feel this sense of loss, I remind myself that summer can be bottled. I’ve found my summer during this seasonal transition in a few songs.

The first song is “BIKE NO MORE” by brotherkenzie, which can best be described as a haunting, unfinished love letter. The dark piano melody coupled with the eerie vocals creates an otherworldly feeling. The lyrics are distant and vague like those lingering moments from summer: “Don’t you think I know you best / When you’re fast asleep on my chest? / I’ve still got so much to say.” Despite its lack of specificity lyrically, the song is made more vivid in its repetition and sonic mood. It feels like stomping through frozen flower beds, moody and satisfying. 

“Sweet Disposition” by The Temper Trap, an anthemic song popularized by 500 Days of Summer, opens with a glittery, tangy guitar riff that builds gradually to an epic pre-chorus. The pre-chorus is a series of snapshots that encapsulate youth and recklessness: “A moment, a love, a dream, aloud / A kiss, a cry, our rights, our wrongs.” The song invites listeners to plug in their own kisses, cries and mistakes — it’s a montage of our youth. It’s frantic and desperate, but also slow, mesmerizing and complex. 

The most gut-wrenching song is “Wish on an Eyelash” by Mallrat. The song is less than a minute long but creates a mood of longing that survives the track. Singer Grace Kathleen Elizabeth Shaw delivers crisp, angelic vocals detailing her pining: “I made a wish on an eyelash / Made a wish on elevens / Made a wish on my birthday / Talk about you to heaven.” The song is ethereal and somber, reminiscent of summers spent full of yearning, blowing on dandelions and hoping for things seemingly out of reach. 

“September” by Roy Blair is the most obvious transitional song for this time of year. It chronicles the end of a relationship, but with a glimmer of hope for the future. Blair contextualizes the narrative, singing, “I haven’t seen your face in about three months now.” He includes concrete images of a drunk walk home and his former lover’s Honda Accord, with commentary and reflection. He pleads, “Wish that we still talked / Even if the talk was small.” The song is as much in the now as it is in the past; it is one foot in and one foot out. But, above all, the song is about acceptance that all good things must end, whether that be a season or a relationship.

Surf Curse’s “Lost Honor” is an upbeat grunge rock song that is full of anticipation and excitement. Guitarist Jacob Rubeck told Flood Magazine, “This song is about fighting for love that feels right.” From New Year’s memories and hands on hips, frontman Nick Rattigan details and discerns precious moments, but asserts that “A final kiss never dies.” When I hear this song, I feel so sure that nothing ever dies. Nothing ever goes away.

The beauty of these songs is in their breadth, but mostly in their ability to capture this indescribable feeling that we call Summer. The songs are full of longing and anger and mourning and freedom. The songs sound like those invaluable fast food runs with hometown friends and Culver’s runs in South Bend with school friends. The songs sound like curling up in a ball in your childhood bedroom and sobbing salty tears at the Grotto. The songs transcend time and place. They are not summer songs — they are forever songs. Because surely our falls will be full of longing; surely our winters will be full of joy; surely our springs will be full of “rights” and “wrongs.” Because every season brings so much new and so much of the same. 

As we trade our t-shirts and shorts for sweatshirts and jeans, I hope we all call upon those moments of bliss from the summertime with the knowledge that bliss will return in time. Maybe we won’t find it in Hesburgh Library at 2 a.m. cramming for a midterm, but we will find it somewhere in Notre Dame, Indiana, perhaps when we least expect it. 

Kate Casper (aka, Casper, Underdog, or Jasmine) is from Northern Virginia, currently residing in Breen-Phillips Hall. She strives to be the best waste of your time. You can contact her at kcasper@nd.edu.

Categories
Viewpoint

A not-so-secret history: prestige and elitism in academia

September 12 — an annual article is published by U.S. News & World Report: “Best National University Rankings.” There’s a buzz on Notre Dame’s campus.

“Can you believe it,” a student whispers to a friend, as they scroll on their phone down to the bottom of the T20. “Notre Dame is tied with Columbia.”

For the next couple of days, I would overhear conversations in the dining hall and classes, in which students discussed the scandal that surrounded Columbia University’s former misrepresentation of its statistics which were factored into its ranking decision. Columbia math professor Michael Thaddeus challenged the school’s data submission and claimed it was “dubious or highly misleading.” While Columbia was initially ranked No. 2 by U.S. News & World Report, it dropped to No. 18 after further investigation — landing a tie with the University of Notre Dame.

This isn’t the first time that inaccuracies in the ranking have occurred — both undiscovered and exposed inaccuracies. But given Columbia’s academic prestige among the Ivy League titans, as well as being on Notre Dame’s campus during this ranking publication, it seemed like this was a much larger deal than past whistleblowing and auditing of university reports.

I found myself disappointed by the general fervor of excitement that occurred after this incident. While not indicative of the entire Notre Dame campus, I did hear rhetoric that seemed to commend Notre Dame’s stature and declaration of equivalence to Columbia during the revision of the rankings this year.

We wear our tied ranking like a badge of honor, yet do we want to celebrate being considered the same caliber as an institute that got caught fudging the numbers? Columbia is not alone; it is just the canary in a coal mine; a buzz-worthy casualty that exposes the fault lines of higher education in the United States.

However, I would be lying if I completely denied that prestige and rankings were at least a part of my college decision process. They provided some tangible way for me to compare the offerings and opportunities at numerous different universities — many of which I did not get the chance to visit in person due to COVID-19.

As much as I want to cast aside these evaluations made by third parties and declare them to be a mere trifle, most candidates for admission at Notre Dame and other “top institutions” are often enticed to apply based on these very appraisals. The reality is many students rely on these ideals and reports — hoping that acceptance to an institution of high caliber will somehow reflect credibility and worthiness onto themselves.

Prestige and elitism within higher education are no strangers to the world of literature either. There’s an entire genre dedicated to this ever-increasing concept, mostly attributed to Donna Tartt’s novel “The Secret History.” Published in 1992, “The Secret History” follows an ensemble of college students at a renowned liberal arts college in New England whose intellectual pursuits get muddled with the hubris of adolescence and emulation of the classical world. This novel is claimed to beget the “dark academia” genre.

While dark academia is ill-defined, most describe the genre as novels that take place in private institutions and elite universities — many featuring liberal arts disciplines. In addition, there is usually a darker element at play, such as betrayal and even murder. The competitive strife that these characters experience, while exaggerated for dramatic effect, is still encouraged in the real world by the ranking and classification system of universities.

To suggest abolishing the ranking system is not my aim in identifying these issues or commenting on the way we perceive higher education. However, perhaps we should reframe our mindset to remind ourselves that the fickleness of such systems should reduce our reliance on them. Rankings are commonly used as a sounding board for our intrinsic principles and value. But when rankings can drastically change and are contingent upon the candor and validity of their unaudited reporters, why are we basing our sense of worth on these transient elements?

When I think of the allure of the dark academia genre, I think of the pull toward the aestheticism of higher education. Peacoats, spires and wire-rimmed glasses all make the cut for the visual imagery I conjure in this realm. However, to claim that aestheticism and the appeal of appearances don’t exist to the same degree in actuality is false. The rankings with which we concern ourselves, the crests we associate with certain elite institutions — these are all charms that divert our attention from the big picture.

What does it mean to think and to reason? How do the interpersonal connections and relationships we form in college influence the people we become? These are the things that can’t be addressed in a simple ranking or a statistical report.

Chapter One of “The Secret History” begins with Richard Papen’s retrospective reflection of his character’s downfall. It commences with the inquiry, “Does such a thing as “the fatal flaw,” that showy dark crack running down the middle of a life, exist outside literature? I used to think it didn’t. Now I think it does. And I think mine is this: a morbid longing for the picturesque at all costs.”

When I consider the Best National University Rankings, I think about the strive for the picturesque — an unrealistic ideal that we believe will transcend our current circumstances. But at what point does this become a “morbid longing?” At what cost will we listen to the rankings and prestige above our own necessities and judgments?

Elizabeth Prater is a Junior at Notre Dame double majoring in marketing and program of liberal studies (great books). She is interested in the cultural implications of analyzing classics & literature under a contemporary lens. When she isn’t writing, she loves playing the violin, hiking in the PNW, going to concerts with friends and offering unsolicited book recommendations. Elizabeth always appreciates hearing from readers, so feel free to reach out eprater@nd.edu or @elizabethlianap on Twitter

Categories
Sports

Coolican: Win over UNC must serve as turning point for Irish offense

Before kick-off Saturday in Chapel Hill, I noted that if Drew Pyne and the Irish offense were unable to get it going against the North Carolina defense, I wasn’t sure they would be able to do so against anybody. The Tar Heels came into the contest allowing opponents an average of 468 yards per game, so it was the perfect opportunity for the Irish to turn things around offensively.

Drew Pyne & Co. did that, and then some. After two unsuccessful drives, the Irish offense was absolutely dominant for the remainder of the game. The Irish rattled off six consecutive scoring drives and only punted once. It was an offensive masterclass in every facet of the game. The Irish rushed for 287 yards and passed for 289. 

North Carolina does have one of the worst defenses in college football, and that was on full display Saturday afternoon. But that shouldn’t take away from what the Irish were able to do offensively. 

“It’s what you hope Notre Dame football is going to be about,” head coach Marcus Freeman said after the game. “That you’re going to have an O-line that can run the ball…to be able to run the ball at will for four or five yards, that’s something that you have to be able to do.”

Notre Dame certainly showed what they are about on Saturday. The talented trio of running backs, junior Chris Tyree and sophomores Audric Estime and Logan Diggs, each had more than 100 total yards. 

After a shaky first drive, junior quarterback Drew Pyne looked increasingly confident as the game progressed. He played largely mistake-free football and consistently found open receivers downfield. Establishing the run early allowed for the offense to open up a vertical dimension that the Irish hadn’t shown previously. 

The play calling has been much maligned to start the season, and until Saturday, it appeared Notre Dame would be extremely limited offensively with Pyne under center. 

“I try to tell the team all the time. When things go bad, it’s bad play-calling. When things go well, it’s great play-calling. That’s the reality of things,” Freeman said. “I believe in the game Tommy Rees has called from Ohio State to Marshall to Cal to now. We were able to execute better.”

Pyne agreed with this confidence and sang the offensive coordinator’s praises in the post-game press conference.

“I think Coach Rees called an unbelievable game. He puts me in a position to go out there and just succeed and do my job and execute,” Pyne said. “I can’t tell you how many times I ran over to the phone and said, ‘Coach Rees, that was all you.’” 

All of this is well and good, but only if this game serves as a turning point for the Irish offense. Notre Dame must be able to build on this momentum as they approach the midway point of the season, with many of their toughest opponents still to come. 

The game was clearly an inflection point for Notre Dame; either they would drop to 1-3 and begin to cast doubts about whether the team would even be bowl eligible, or they would win their second game in a row heading into a bye week and the upcoming showdown with BYU. 

The Irish went out there and responded to this pressure in a big way. When this season is over, however, the win over UNC won’t be the first game that comes to mind. It will be the battles with BYU, Clemson, USC, and, unfortunately, the upset loss to Marshall. The Irish have to carry this momentum forward into these big showdowns.

Notre Dame is clearly getting better each week, but that will have to continue. What was most impressive about the win Saturday wasn’t the play-calling, the performance of the running backs or the offensive line, or Pyne’s play. It was the consistency. 

North Carolina quickly took a 7-0 lead on their first possession and then forced a three-and-out. Based on the first three weeks of the season, one might have expected the Irish offense to be completely demoralized, but instead, they bounced right back and put themselves in scoring position for every single drive for the rest of the game. 

A missed 44-yard field goal on their second drive of the game preceded six consecutive scoring drives, five of which were touchdowns. The Irish failed to convert on a 4th and 1 from the UNC 25 before another touchdown, and finally a fumble into the endzone. For those keeping track, that is 10 consecutive drives that finished inside the UNC 26 yard line. The Irish were moving the ball at will down the field practically all game. 

Notre Dame will certainly hope this game serves as a turning point for an offense that was at times painful to watch through the first three games of the season. North Carolina didn’t offer much in the way of resistance, but it was undoubtedly the best the Irish have looked all season. However, they’ll still need to prove it against better defensive opponents, and BYU is the perfect place to do so. 

Categories
News

Grant to help provide pre-college programming for underserved high school students

The Notre Dame office of pre-college programming has received a grant from the Lilly Endowment Inc, a private charitable organization based in Indianapolis. The funding provided by this grant will go towards providing pre-college programming for teens from underserved high schools in Indiana. 

The Lilly Endowment has offered other grants in the tri-campus community, including one to promote mental health in Notre Dame residence halls called the ‘People With Hope to Bring Initiative.’

To be eligible for the grant, Paul Mueller explained that high schoolers must come from an underserved high school in Indiana.

Mueller, who is the director of the office of pre-college programming, said his department determines which schools are considered underserved using a variety of factors. 

“We use professional judgment from our admissions counselors that visit these high schools to flag schools that they thought might fit an underserved criteria. In other cases, we use federal rules to determine whether a school was underserved or under-resourced,” he said.

The grant will be used to reach out to high school students who otherwise might not have been thinking about college, Mueller said.

“Our traditional ‘Summer Scholars’ student has already been thinking about college. So, this population that Lilly is funding is a little bit of an outreach population to get their college search activated,” he explained.

Because of the additional funding from the endowment, Mueller said the pre-college office has grown its ‘Summer Scholars’ program to accommodate more students.

“We’re growing summer programs, probably by about 25 percent next year and another 25 percent the subsequent years as a result of this,” Mueller said.

The ‘Summer Scholars’ program brings students onto Notre Dame’s campus where they take a course taught by Notre Dame faculty. Last year, there were 450 students in one session of the program, however, Mueller said that by next year it is expanding to two sessions with the total number of students between 555 and 575.

One of the main changes brought on by the grant is that the program will now include a college fair as a way of connecting students to other Indiana schools, Mueller said.

“The biggest difference for the students will be that we’re adding a college fair, where we’re asking our other Indiana colleges to come up and talk about what they have to offer. It’s a recognition that especially from the Lilly-funded students, not all of them will be able to get into Notre Dame, so let’s give them the opportunity to explore what other options they might have in the state,” he said.

Muller explained that the goal is to help underserved high school students put themselves in college students’ shoes and begin to think about the possibility of attending college. 

“The biggest benefit is to get them onto campus and get them projecting themselves at a four-year college, thinking about ‘this is possible. I can do this,’” he said.

Notre Dame students can get involved with pre-college programming as resident counselors, Mueller said. The students are hired as staff in the dorms. 

“[The summer staff] provide leadership. They show students the ropes, they get them to the dining halls on time and into their classes on time. So, it’s a terrific summer employment opportunity for people that are really interested in working with high school students,” Mueller said.

Contact Colleen at cfarre23@nd.edu

Categories
Sports

Saints honor seniors, earn win and draw versus St. Xavier

This weekend, both the men’s and the women’s Holy Cross soccer teams faced down CCAC foe Saint Xavier in an important conference play matchup.

Matchday also took place on Holy Cross’s Alumni Day, and the matchup served as a senior day for both teams.

The Holy Cross women’s team began by honoring seniors Kathleen Ming and Olivia Shaw.

Ming, a forward, played in 18 games in 2019 and started in 14, scoring four goals and assisting on two. Ming has played eight games for the Saints this season and has started four but has not scored or assisted yet.

Shaw, a midfielder, also played in 18 games, starting 17 and was incredibly productive, scoring 12 goals with three assists. Shaw has scored one goal in the four starts she has gotten this season.

The Saints and Cougars played it even in the first half with neither team scoring, with the shot total at 5-4 in favor of Saint Xavier.

Holy Cross opened up their shooting in the second half, taking ten shots to Xavier’s five (for a total of 14-10, Saints).

The increase in shooting led to an unassisted Nicole Cook goal in the 71st minute, which gave the Saints a 1-0 lead.

With just 44 seconds left in the match, Xavier would earn a penalty kick and Neida Ocampo converted the opportunity, snatching a tie from the jaws of defeat.

By tying Saint Xavier, the women’s team record is 2-2-6 on the year with a 1-2-2 (.400) record in conference play. The Saints now have 5 points and rank 10th in conference play, trailing IU Northwest by one and leading Trinity International by two.

The women turn their attention to Indiana University-South Bend, on Sept. 28, at 2:00 p.m. at Saints Field. IUSB is currently 0-8 on the season with a -60 goal differential, having not scored a goal on the year and conceding on average 7.5 goals per game.

The game should provide a much-needed win for the Saints. The only time the two have met, Holy Cross scored five goals in the first half and won 11-0.

The IUSB program is still incredibly young, as it began just in the 2019-2020 season.

The men’s team began their game by honoring its three seniors, Kamoy Creary, Elmin Ejup and Jeffrey Harper.

Creary, a defensive anchor for Holy Cross, made eight starts last season and played fourteen total games. Creary has made six starts in six games and continues to be a defensive cornerstone.

A South Bend local, Ejup, started in three matches last season but played eighteen and scored once. This season Ejup has already doubled his production, playing and starting in seven games and scoring twice with an assist.

Harper, a midfielder out of San Diego, played 12 matches, starting in six and earned a goal and assist for the Saints. Harper has already scored a goal in his first eight games this season.

The first half featured a defensive battle and neither team could make much offensive progress with shots totaling seven (four for HCC) and the score 0-0.

Much like the women’s team, the Saints increased shooting in the second half and outshot the Cougars 13-6 total. With the increased shooting came a goal in the 76th minute by senior Axel Valenzuela, assisted by junior Gabe Nyenka.

The win for Holy Cross snaps a three-game losing streak against Saint Xavier, dating back to 2019. With the win, Holy Cross is now 5-3-1 on the season, with a 3-1-1 (.700) record in conference play. The win also increases Holy Cross’ win streak to three games and marks the first home win in conference play.

The win vaults the men’s team into second place in the CCAC table, with the team now having 10 points. First place Trinity International currently has 12 points.

Holy Cross will look to continue its winning ways when they play Calvin College on Sept. 27, at 3:00 p.m. at Saint Field.

Categories
Sports

Observer On the Ground: UNC

If there is anything to confirm that there is nothing like a Notre Dame game day, our trip to Chapel Hill is it. Our Friday evening flight was rather empty, which is surprising for a direct flight from South Bend during football season. Aside from the three Observer employees, the rest of the passengers consisted of the regular Notre Dame football beat writers, as well as some scattered students and local fans. 

The duration of the flight was only just over an hour, getting us into Chapel Hill around dinner time. We found a local Mediterranean restaurant to try, and it gave us high hopes for the remainder of our trip. Even early on a Friday night, the restaurant was packed with UNC students and fans, making the tavern a bustling ball of energy ahead of the Irish-Tar Heels showdown the following day. As we stood in line for a table, we could see the potential for a high-energy tailgating scene in the morning.

And the food was certainly worth the wait. We don’t know if it is the fact we have been eating dining hall food for every meal or if it was that good, but Kipos Greek Taverna is a must-stop in Chapel Hill. Did we get three desserts, reasoning we’d need a “snack” for game day? Potentially. Are we ashamed? Not at all.

However, the following morning proved to be slightly different than what we are used to in South Bend. As far as college towns go, Chapel Hill deserves a spot among the best. We found Epilogue Books Chocolate Brews–a bookstore/coffee shop on Franklin St. just off of UNC’s campus that specializes in specialty lattes and Spanish-style pastries–for breakfast, and our good food streak continued. It seemed like the chocolatería was a place to be ahead of game days, as nearly everyone who entered the shop was sporting UNC or ND spirit wear. Many families took a quiet morning in the independent bookstore before the game day festivities commenced.

These festivities, though, were much more subdued than the tailgating scene at Notre Dame. There was no designated concentration of tailgates, with handfuls of tents benign scattered throughout North Carolina’s beautiful campus. Most of these setups also seemed to be sponsored in some way or another, which is very different from the family-style functions we were used to at Notre Dame.

For an away game, we saw nearly as many Irish fans walking around as we did Tar Heels. We were unable to locate where they were tailgating, however, if they were at all. We walked past several UNC frat houses that had creative signs, but when “Desperado” is on the tailgate playlist, one can assume the energy was slightly more relaxed. The player entrance into the stadium was also very different for UNC, as they remained on the buses as opposed to walking through the crowds like a Notre Dame Victory March.

Despite this new concept of game day pre-games, we had the perfect weather to walk around campus. It had all the southern charm we could hope for, and we tried to glean every moment we could before we headed into the stadium. 

Writers were allowed to be on the field for warmups, so a few of us went to the Notre Dame sideline and watched the position groups warm up. It was a unique experience to be on the same level as the players. As someone who clocks in at 5’2, it was impressive to see just how intimidating the people who are facing off against each other are.

The stadium began to fill in around us, and the number of Notre Dame fans present for the game was rather impressive. The whole Notre Dame side was largely green, blue and gold, and the crowd even got touchdown push-ups going as the Irish began racking up the points. Under the leadership of the lively leprechaun, they combatted the full UNC student section, which brought the energy we thought had been somewhat lacking ahead of kickoff. 

However, once UNC’s fate was sealed in the fourth quarter, those cheers from Tar Heels fans turned into objections. When we were allowed back on the field in the final few minutes of the game, someone from the stands launched a full plastic water bottle at one of the referees, managing to hit him in the back.

But by the time the sun had set on game day, the Irish were the ones left in the stands as the team filed into the tunnel, satisfied with another win under their belts.

Categories
Scene

Roger Federer completes 24 year tennis career

After more than two decades of play, Roger Federer has finished his legendary tennis career. Announced on September 15, through Twitter, Federer said that he must listen to his body as it tells him that his time as a competitive player is over. Federer played his final match last Friday: a doubles match with friend and rival Rafael Nadal at the Laver Cup.

As a child, Federer began his story with tennis as a ball boy in his hometown of Basel, Switzerland. Though he was talented in many sports, he chose tennis after working with Australian player Peter Carter. At age 14, Federer moved to Ecublens from Basel to train at the National Swiss Tennis Center. His first breakthrough would come at age 19 when he beat four-time defending champion, Pete Sampras, at Wimbledon. His first major single title, however, would come two years later at the 2003 Wimbledon.

Federer would go on to win seven more times at Wimbledon, six times at the Australian Open, five times at the US Open and one time at the French Open for a total of 20 major singles titles, the third most men’s major singles titles overall. He has spent a total of 310 weeks at number one, 237 of those consecutively, and became the oldest player to reach number one at age 36. Federer holds the record for the greatest number of consecutive major singles semifinals reached at 23 and has an overall singles record of 1251-275 (82%). Finally, he has never had to halt a match due to injury – a surprising fact given he’s played 1,526 singles matches and 224 doubles matches.

For his numerous wins, Federer has won over $130 million in prize money, but most of his income has been made off the court. Known for his vast number of brand sponsorships, Federer became the first active tennis player to earn more than $1 billion – one of only six athletes to do so. Even in the past three years, when injuries and surgeries have kept him largely out of play, he remained the highest-paid tennis player and was even the highest-paid athlete in 2020, according to Forbes.

For a lot of people, though, when Federer is brought up, two other names come up in the conversation: Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal. These three men are often referred to as the “big three” of men’s tennis, and together they have dominated the past 19 years of play. Between the three of them, they have won 63 of the past 77 major men’s singles titles, and their matches are incredibly memorable.

Federer and Nadal’s Wimbledon final in 2008 is largely considered one of the best matches in tennis history, and it is hard to forget the image of Nadal comforting a crying Federer after their 2009 Australian Open final. Likewise, Djokovic’s 2019 win over Federer at Wimbledon took almost five hours and is still seared into the brains of many of their fans. With Federer retiring, this “big three” era of tennis is finally over. While his career on the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) tour is done, Federer has said that he would still like to play exhibition games in the future. It seems that he will also continue to be a part of the sport in other capacities as well. The Laver Cup itself is run in part through Federer’s management company TEAM8, and Federer has used a lot of his influence to put it on the ATP tour schedule. He has even confirmed that he will attend next year’s Laver Cup in Vancouver. So, although Federer has retired, tennis fans should all breathe a sigh of relief, secure in the knowledge that he is not stepping away from the game completely.

Claire McKenna

Contact Claire at cmckenn4@nd.edu

Categories
Scene

‘Don’t Worry, Darling’ — Florence Pugh Has It Under Control

If you’ve spent any time online in the past few weeks, “Don’t Worry Darling” needs no introduction. Between Harry Styles’ now infamous interview at Venice Film Festival (he was right — the movie does feel like a movie), Florence Pugh’s conspicuous absence from that same event, Olivia Wilde’s public feud with former star Shia LaBeouf, and perhaps the most bizarre, the Harry Styles and Chris Pine ‘spit gate’, “Don’t Worry Darling” was facing a barrage of criticism and unfortunate viral tweets well before even hitting the silver screen. The film’s trailer was met with trepidation, Styles’ labored acting skills looked all the worse next to Pugh’s natural delivery, and critics haven’t been exactly kind to Wilde’s sophomore directorial credit. The question remained, however, if, after all this, the movie would actually be any good. The verdict? It’s good enough, and sometimes that’s okay.

“Don’t Worry Darling” tells the story of Alice (Pugh) and Jack (Styles), the picture of mid-century domestic bliss, as they enjoy life in the town of Victory, an experimental community part-company town, part-luxury resort. All seems perfect, her the glamorous housewife and him the successful breadwinner, until, of course, it isn’t. Alice starts to notice cracks in their seemingly perfect life and begins to wonder what exactly it is her husband is doing at the Victory Project before everything starts to unravel. It’s a classic “Stepford Wives” tale, and Wilde’s take on the story is not particularly revolutionary. That being said, the movie is still solid. It’s visually stunning, with a gorgeous set and costume design, and the film’s supporting cast does wonders for what might otherwise be a slightly weak script. There are some memorable scenes, to be sure (no spoilers, but if you’ve ever wondered what Harry Styles might look like tap dancing, you’re in luck), and the movie makes a strong attempt at delivering a solid feminist message.

If anything, the film falters because it doesn’t quite go far enough. Dancing on the edge of thriller and horror, viewers might find themselves willing to tip into the latter category. The film’s visuals give it a glorious setup, but it almost seems to run out of steam near the end as the story wraps up and the ending comes into sight. Pugh does a brilliant job of portraying the “darling” of the film’s title, but the material itself feels slightly limiting, and we’re left wondering what might have been if she were given more to work with. On the other end of the spectrum, Styles seems pushed to his limit by the film’s script. His acting is passable, even good when he’s on the sidelines, but when he’s required to carry a scene himself, things get a little shaky. Perhaps it wouldn’t even be that bad if Styles wasn’t forced to act opposite to Pugh, who lights up every scene she’s in, but the pairing doesn’t do Styles any justice. Ultimately, it’s Pugh that saves the movie. She gives a shining performance and keeps the film on track despite its poor pacing, which is somehow both too fast and too slow. Clocking in at just over two hours, the film might have been better served with a longer runtime, if only just to give the overstuffed plot more time to breathe.

That being said, “Don’t Worry Darling” may be not the best movie you’ll ever watch, but not every movie has to be. For Styles fans, Wilde haters, and everyone in between, the film is worth seeing, even if it won’t change your life. Expect great visuals, a fantastic leading lady, and a storyline that’ll keep you guessing right to the end.

Title: “Don’t Worry Darling”

Starring: Florence Pugh, Harry Styles, Chris Pine, Olivia Wilde

Director(s): Olivia Wilde

If you like: “The Stepford Wives”, “Severance”, “Pleasantville”

Shamrocks: 3.5 out of 5

Abigail Keaney

Contact Abigail at akeaney@nd.edu

Categories
News

Chinese department celebrates Mid-Autumn Festival

The Chinese department and the department of East Asian Languages and Cultures celebrated the Mid-Autumn Festival, also known as the Moon Festival, in the LaFortune ballroom Sunday, Sept. 26. The celebration featured student performances, traditional decorations and Chinese food. 

The Mid-Autumn Festival, Zhongqiu Jie (中秋节) in Chinese, is one of China’s biggest and most important festivals. The festival is a celebration including family reunions, mooncakes, parades and lanterns. 

The Chinese department’s annual festival is important for students studying Chinese, according to professor Yongping Zhu.

He said the purpose of the event is “to allow our students who study Chinese to know Chinese culture by learning Chinese dance and [performing songs].”

According to assistant teaching professor and event coordinator Congcong Ma, the festival celebrates the harvest season and usually falls on Sept. 15. However, she explained that the date of the celebration is based on the lunar calendar, so the exact date varies from year to year. 

“We have a very full bright moon on that day and that represents the family reunion. It’s a good chance to bring all of our students together, to have the opportunity to meet people from different [grade] levels, like a family reunion,” Ma said.

Zhu also described the family-oriented celebration. He said on the day of the festival, the moon is rounded and this is interpreted as a metaphor for family members coming together. 

Junior Linh Oliver said the festival is based on the myth of the Moon Goddess Chang’e (嫦娥). 

“The moon is said to symbolize a lot of things that are crucial in Chinese culture: family and togetherness, harmony, longevity and prosperity,” Oliver said. “Even in modern times, this holiday serves as a time for reflection, recentering of self and spending quality time with those you hold dear.”

Each level Chinese class prepared a performance for the event. First, second and third-year students performed in larger groups while fourth-year students had individual performances, according to Oliver.

“There were a lot of super talented solo performers who got to showcase their passions, and then there were group performances from all the different classes,” Oliver said.

After the performances, students and families were invited to enjoy Chinese food and mooncakes. 

The event was sponsored by the department of east Asian languages & cultures, the Liu Institute for Asia and Asian studies and the center for the study of languages & cultures. 

The Chinese department also hosts an annual celebration in February to mark the 15 days of Chinese New Year. 

Contact Caroline at ccolli23@nd.edu

Categories
Print Edition

Print Edition for Monday, September 26, 2022