-

-

An Editors’ Note

, , , and | Tuesday, October 13, 2015

“The views expressed in this column are those of the author and not necessarily those of The Observer.”

That sentence appears at the end of every Viewpoint column printed in these pages, and these 18 words sum up this newspaper’s policy regarding the opinions we put in print.

In the Oct. 7 edition of The Observer, Louis Bertolotti, a biweekly columnist, wrote a piece entitled “Respect life beyond this week” that argued forcefully against abortion. We have since received a letter from associate professor of Romance languages and literatures Ben A. Heller, which runs above, that calls for The Observer to apologize for printing a column he believes reduces the debate around abortion “to the lowest and most irresponsible level of discourse.” 

We at The Observer welcome all opinions, arguments, comments and criticisms. That is why we printed Berolotti’s column, and why we print Heller’s letter today. We may not agree with one side or another, but we believe everyone in the Notre Dame and Saint Mary’s community deserves a forum to voice their thoughts.

At the same time, we reserve the right to not run a column, guest column or letter to the editor if it makes personal attacks, is unnecessarily inflammatory or otherwise unsuitable for print. We edit Viewpoint pieces for grammar and Associated Press and Observer style. We never want to censor someone’s beliefs. 

Striking a balance between these two concerns is never easy, but we make every decision with the full knowledge that no opinion piece ever necessarily expresses the views of The Observer.

Bertolotti’s views do not necessarily represent the view of everyone at The Observer, but we stand by the decision to allow his opinions into print. We are also grateful to professor Heller for allowing us the opportunity to clarify our decision-making process, and we welcome his input. Lastly, we encourage students, faculty, staff, administrators and other members of the Notre Dame and Saint Mary’s community to continue to write to us about the issues that matter to you.

Greg Hadley
Editor-in-Chief

Jack Rooney
Managing Editor

Mary Green
Assistant Managing Editor

Wei Lin
Assistant Managing Editor

Tabitha Ricketts
Viewpoint Editor

Oct. 12

Tags:

About Jack Rooney

Jack is a 2016 graduate of Notre Dame, and The Observer's former managing editor. He is currently spending a year living and working for the University in Ireland, and writing columns to keep him busy. For more random thoughts and plenty of news links, follow Jack on Twitter @RooneyReports.

Contact Jack

About Greg Hadley

Greg Hadley is a senior from Rockville, Maryland, majoring in political science with a minor in Journalism, Ethics and Democracy. He served as The Observer's Editor-in-Chief for the 2015-2016 term and currently covers Notre Dame baseball and women's basketball.

Contact Greg

About Mary Green

Current Assistant Managing Editor, former Sports Editor of The Observer | Follow Mary on Twitter: @maryegreen15

Contact Mary

About Wei Lin

Wei Lin currently serves as an Assistant Managing Editor for The Observer. He served as the Photo Editor on the 2014-2015 Editorial Board. He is a senior Accountancy, Economics, and Chinese triple major living in Knott Hall. He hails from the borough of Queens in New York City.

Contact Wei

About Tabitha Ricketts

As of this summer (2013), I hail from Clarkston, Michigan. I am a junior in the Saint Mary's College dual-degree engineering program, pursuing a degree in English Writing from Saint Mary's and Computer Science from the University of Notre Dame. I have written for the Saint Mary's News department of the Observer since my freshman year, and began working for Viewpoint last spring.

Contact Tabitha