-

-

Football

Six Notre Dame football players arrested in two incidents

| Saturday, August 20, 2016

Updated

Six Notre Dame football players were arrested late Friday night and early Saturday morning in two incidents in Fulton and St. Joseph counties.

Five Irish football players were arrested Friday night at approximately 10:07 p.m. during a traffic stop in Fulton County, Indiana, carried out by the Indiana State Police. Fulton County is approximately 45 miles south of Notre Dame.

Senior safety Max Redfield, sophomore running back Dexter Williams, sophomore linebacker Te’von Coney, sophomore cornerback Ashton White and freshman receiver Kevin Stepherson were each arrested under preliminary misdemeanor charges of possession of marijuana, while Redfield, Stepherson and Williams also face a charge for possession of a handgun without a license.

Irish senior safety Max Redfield takes down Pittsburgh quarterback Nate Peterman during Notre Dame’s 42-30 win over the Panthers at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh. Redfield was one of six Irish players arrested overnight in two separate incidents.Emmet Farnan | The Observer

Irish senior safety Max Redfield takes down Pittsburgh quarterback Nate Peterman during Notre Dame’s 42-30 win over the Panthers at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh. Redfield was one of six Irish players arrested overnight in two separate incidents.

The 2007 Ford Focus, driven by White, was pulled over for a speeding violation and an improper taillight when State Trooper Ben Reason allegedly detected the odor of marijuana coming from the car, an Indiana State Police press release said. From there, a narcotics dog indicated the presence of illegal narcotics inside the vehicle, and in the subsequent search, officers allegedly found marijuana and a loaded handgun. The Indiana State Police was assisted by officers from the Fulton County Sheriff’s Department.

According to Indiana state law, “the intentional possession of cocaine, Schedule I or II narcotics, or methamphetamine is a class C felony if the amount of drug involved was three grams or more or the defendant was in possession of a firearm.” Marijuana is considered a Schedule I narcotic under Indiana state law.

The arrests came just a few hours before senior cornerback Devin Butler was arrested in South Bend in an unrelated incident.

Butler was arrested outside the Linebacker Lounge early Saturday morning on early charges of resisting a police officer and battery against a police officer.

The St. Joseph County Jail booking desk confirmed Butler was arrested by the South Bend Police Department early Saturday morning on those two preliminary charges. Butler was then brought to a holding cell at the St. Joseph County Jail.

When The Observer contacted the St. Joseph County Jail booking desk again, it confirmed the incident occurred at 1631 South Bend Ave., which is the address of the Linebacker Lounge, a popular student bar located just off Notre Dame’s campus.

According to the arrest file on the St. Joseph County Police Department website, Butler was arrested at 12:28 a.m.

Irish head coach Brian Kelly dismissed Redfield from the team on Sunday and suspended Butler indefinitely. Kelly also said the other four players may face internal discipline.

University vice president for public affairs and communications Paul Browne said in a statement Notre Dame was aware of the situation.

“Any student arrested on a felony charge also faces dismissal from the University,” Browne said in the statement. “The University will determine if additional sanctions should apply to any or all of the students charged.”

Redfield was a two-year starter at safety for the Irish, while Coney and Williams each saw action last year for Notre Dame.

Butler, who started at Stanford last season, has one interception in his three-year Notre Dame career. Butler was expected to compete for a full-time starting role this offseason, but he refractured his foot over the summer, an injury that left his health status for 2016 unclear.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

• leveraction

Where are the pictures? Oh wait I bet the are all Black right…

• yentrog31

Right again. Of course your odds were about 80%

• Steve Raich

Drugs, weapons and assault? Taking stupidity to a new level. Not real proud to be an alum today.

• Brian Szymanski

The new Notre Dame: The Four Horsemen are out, replaced with the Five Pot Smokers.

• Rollhorns

The Lord will offer you a second chance, just not at our University.

• tbone

what were they planning to do with a loaded handgun 45 miles from campus at 10 on a friday night?

• subway73

There is something quite amiss here. It seems like every year or so a number of football players find themselves in trouble with the Law, the University or both. Is it poor communication on the part of the coaching staff or are these individuals really that stupid? Some sociology professor should do some research to determine why the vast majority of those athletes that run afoul are African American. Question: How thoroughly is character evaluated when considering providing such a fine education gratis or as K.K. Rockne once asked: “What is the goal of the university?”

• Tom Z.

“Do some research as to why the players that run afoul are African American?”

That might be the dumbest question ever posed on here. Maybe is has something to do with the fact that the majority of our team is made up of black players. Maybe the best athletes and the best recruits are black players. Maybe they get in trouble because they are 18-22 year old kids doing stupid stuff. It never ceases to amaze me how little Notre Dame football “fans” care about actually winning games and competing for a national championship. As an alum, I am embarrassed by all of these comments for wanting to only recruit the most upstanding individuals and supporting the extremely strict and unique penalties on these players. No wonder we can’t compete with the Alabama’s or the Ohio State’s year in and year out. We need our fans to care about winning and let minor infractions like these be dealt with the way other elite programs deal with them if we want to be competing every year for a title. It’s really as simple as that.

• subway73

You’re joking right? Minor infractions? Two felonies is a minor infraction? I was raised in Bed Sty (that’s right, an African American community) and two felony charges in one night got you plenty of street cred. BTW, your team can’t compete with Stanford and has lost their share of games to Navy in the past decade. Explain that one, Heck, you even lost to Northwestern at home. All are academically superior to your school.