Saturday, Sept. 21, 2024

The Observer announces 2021-2022 department heads

Seven new and one returning department heads will complete The Observer’s 2021-2022 Editorial Board, incoming Editor-in-Chief Adriana Perez announced Wednesday.

The eight editors will join Perez as well as incoming Managing Editor Evan McKenna and Assistant Managing Editors Colin Capece, Isabella Volmert and Nelisha Silva in directing the paper in its editorial responsibilities.

Juniors Abigail Patrick and Allison Thornton, sophomores Genevieve Coleman, Alysa Guffey, Mannion McGinley, Aidan O’Malley and Veronica Navarro and first-year Maggie Klaers will lead their respective departments beginning March 21.

Patrick, originally from Grafton, Wisconsin, and now living in Austin, Texas, will be taking over as Viewpoint Editor. She is majoring in English and anthropology with a minor in business economics. Since her first year at Notre Dame, she has worked as copy editor for Viewpoint. Elsewhere on campus, she is one of the leaders of the Student Programming Committee at the Snite Museum of Art, where she works to make art and the museum more accessible resources for students.

Thornton will be returning as Photo Editor. A junior at Saint Mary’s, she is studying environmental and global studies with a concentration in anthropology. She is a native of South Bend, Indiana. She has photographed many events during her time at the paper, including the Camping World Bowl football championship in 2019.

Coleman, originally from South Bend, Indiana, will take over the role of Saint Mary’s News Editor. She is majoring in English literature and secondary education with minors in theatre performance and English writing. She currently serves as an associate news editor. Writing for The Observer since her first year of college, Coleman has covered a variety of topics including voting initiatives in the 2020 presidential elections, campus life during COVID-19 and the selection of Maria Leontaras, current Editor-in Chief and the second Saint Mary’s student to ever serve in that position.

Guffey, a Breen-Phillips Hall resident originally from Indianapolis, Indiana, will take over as Notre Dame News Editor. Guffey is majoring in history with minors in Journalism, Ethics and Democracy and Education, Schooling and Society and currently serves as an associate news editor. Throughout her time at The Observer, she has covered a variety of events, including the confirmation of Amy Coney Barrett to the Supreme Court, South Bend during the coronavirus pandemic and residential life.

McGinley, originally from New City, New York, but currently residing in Notre Dame’s Pasquerilla West Hall, will take over as Sports Editor. She is majoring in American Studies and minoring in sociology, gender studies and Journalism, Ethics and Democracy. McGinley has written and worked production for The Observer since September of her first year. Additionally, since last spring, she has served as an associate sports editor. McGinley has covered a variety of sports for the department: track and field, golf, softball and baseball, as well as men’s basketball, soccer and football.

O’Malley, who hails from Wheaton, Illinois, will take over as Scene Editor. A sophomore residing in Sorin College, O’Malley is a Film, Television and Theatre major with a concentration in film. He has written for the department since his first year, reporting on student and professional film festivals and reviewing a wide array of movies as a film critic. He is also pursuing minors in Journalism, Ethics & Democracy and digital marketing.

Navarro is a Notre Dame philosophy major from South Bend, Indiana, and a resident of Pangborn Hall. She will be taking over as Social Media Editor. Navarro currently serves as The Observer’s Facebook platform manager, moderating comments, working to increase audience engagement and posting Observer content to the social media account.

Originally from Minneapolis, Klaers is a first-year biology and visual communications design major living in Flaherty Hall. She will be taking over as The Observer’s Graphics Editor. She began designing graphics for the paper at the beginning of her first fall semester on campus, and she occasionally writes for the Notre Dame News department.