Wednesday, Sept. 18, 2024

More than a month 

Editor’s Note: The following story includes mentions of suicide. Mental health resources can be found on the Notre Dame, Saint Mary’s and Holy Cross websites. Reach the suicide and crisis line by calling or texting 988.

September was Suicide Prevention Month. Though the calendars may have turned a page, our commitment to suicide prevention should not. Caring for those dealing with mental health obstacles extends far beyond a single month. Human lives — friends, sisters, sons, daughters, brothers, students — are at stake year-round. 

Ask for help

As the tri-campus student newspaper, The Observer strives to remind every single person that you matter. Your life is precious. You are more important than your grades or your job or your resume. You are more important than whatever challenges you might be facing. There is infinite good inside you, even if you can't see it right now. 

If you are in a dark place, you might believe your suicidal thoughts won’t subside. But they can and will with the right supportive resources in place. 

If you’re in pain, don’t wait to reach out. Even though it can be difficult to ask for help, bottling up your fears and worries only creates pressure and amplifies your negative feelings. Discussing suicidal thoughts can give you relief. It’s never too early or too late to get help. It can feel scary, but it’s OK to share how you feel and lean on others for support. Asking for help is always a sign of strength, not weakness.

Recognize the warning signs

Everyone should do their part. Make sure your friends and loved ones know you’re always willing to talk about mental health. You will never regret checking in on someone or initiating a conversation about mental health. Listen, reach out and be present.

You might think suicides happen without warning. But 80% of them include a warning sign.

There are certain behaviors you can look out for among both loved ones and strangers. Evidence-based signs indicating a need for support or intervention include: behaving recklessly, withdrawing or isolating, increasing use of drugs or alcohol, talking about being a burden to others, a lack of personal hygiene, giving away belongings, mood swings and other behavioral changes.

These can be hard to read. It hurts to imagine someone enduring that kind of pain. Although it’s difficult to think about, we should know these warning signs. If someone isn’t acting like themselves, even a little bit, it never hurts to check in.

Intervene

Knowing the signs of suicide is not enough. Every member of the tri-campus community should understand the evidence-based steps for intervention.

While asking a peer showing signs of suicidal behavior about their mental health can be daunting, it’s generally the right thing to do. This can make a person who is in pain will be relieved that someone cared enough to ask.

Initiating a conversation could be as simple as: “I noticed you haven’t been yourself lately, how are you?” 

If someone suggests that they are thinking of suicide or self-harm, it’s important to calmly listen, offer compassion and get them help.  Listening and validating someone’s feelings is the first step, according to the National Alliance on Mental Illness. When someone is hurting, they need compassion.

Make sure the person knows you love and care for them, pose questions kindly and determine whether suicide is on their mind.

Access your resources

If the conversation reaches this point, it’s time to reach out for more help. Therapists, trusted family members, tri-campus resources and the national 988 suicide hotline should be contacted by anyone who is worried for an acquaintance, friend or loved one. Encourage the person to reach out to a mental health professional and offer to stay beside them as they do. If someone is in danger, don’t leave the situation or conversation without ensuring the person is safe and in the care of mental health professionals, even if that means you have to make the call for them.

Getting help for yourself or for someone else in such a situation can be an intimidating task. Fortunately, there are numerous resources across the tri-campus and beyond to help. 

At Notre Dame, students can visit the University Counseling Center on the third floor of Saint Liam Hall and get immediate help by indicating they or someone they are with is in a crisis. The UCC also has a crisis call line — 574-631-7336 — with an on-call counselor that is available 24/7 every week of the year except while the University is closed for one week during winter break. Non-crisis counseling and psychiatric services are also available in person and over the phone through the UCC. Psychiatric services can also evaluate students for potential medications that can be prescribed at the University Health Services (UHS). All of the UCC’s resources are confidential and free.

At Saint Mary’s, students are encouraged to reach out to the College’s Health and Counseling Center by phone at 574-284-4805. If a student is in immediate danger, students are directed to reach out to Campus Safety at 574-284-5000.  

Don’t hesitate to use these numbers, but also, don’t neglect opportunities for prevention. 

There are several on-campus events, including Active Minds’Irish State of MiND week in October, to help break the stigmas surrounding mental health. Notre Dame has partnered with the PENN Resilience Program, a training course designed to give participants the tools to navigate stressful situations. It has also proven to decrease depression and anxiety. Program sessions are running every Friday in Room 307 at Saint Liam’s Hall from 10-11:30 a.m. now until Nov. 3 (with the exception of Oct. 20, which is during fall break).

Whether it’s for yourself or someone else, don’t be afraid to reach out. It’s always better to get help than shoulder a burden by yourself.

September has ended, but suicide prevention is still more important than ever.