Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Fall semester updates: What you need to know

The Observer has reported on numerous announcements from administrators across the tri-campus community regarding the reopening of the campuses for the 2020 fall semester. Here are some of the most important statements, all in one place:

1593178791-0c34f21873239b5-700x394
Jenkins condemns ICE restrictions - July 9 Highlights: Notre Dame would file a brief in support of a lawsuit by Harvard and the MIT to block Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s (ICE) decision to expel international students who attend universities exclusively online for the fall semester. Saint Mary's details safety plans for fall semester - July 9 Highlights: All Belles will be required to complete an online training course which covers the newly established health and safety guidelines. In addition, all students attending in-person classes will be required to complete a COVID-19 test, and will undergo a daily “wellness check.” Big Ten goes conference-only - July 9 Highlights: Notre Dame's football schedule shortens as the Big Ten conference announces it will implement a conference-only schedule for fall sports, including football. As a result, ND's game with Wisconsin has been canceled. Students to be mailed coronavirus tests - July 8 Highlights: Notre Dame students are being required to take an at-home coronavirus test prior to arrival on campus. Specimen collection will be staggered depending on when students plan to arrive on campus, and by July 15, all students will be notified by when they must complete their test. Holy Cross outlines safety precautions for fall semester - July 2 Highlights: Holy Cross will follow Notre Dame's lead in much of the coronavirus precautions. Additionally, all students will be required to undergo a COVID-19 test within ten days of going back to campus.

University releases plans for coronavirus testing - June 29

Highlights: All Notre Dame students who reside outside of St. Joseph County, as well as St. Joseph County residents who will live in Notre Dame residence halls will undergo free COVID-19 testing prior to the start of fall semester. The University is also putting together a COVID-19 Response Unit to oversee testing during the year. Notre Dame announces plans to still host presidential debate - June 24 Highlights: The first debate will proceed Sept. 29 with significant modifications in light of the pandemic. Only a fraction of the expected visitors will be able to attend.
Erin Hoffmann Harding outlines policies and procedures for this fall - June 22 Highlights: Dates for Welcome Week, changes to dining hall meals, new meal plans and quarantine sites are announced. Holy Cross sets move-in date - June 17 Highlights: Returning college students will move in Aug. 9, one day prior to the beginning of the fall semester. First year students will move in Aug. 7-8. Saint Mary’s move-in - June 12 Highlights: The Belles will move in over the course of 6 days, with students to registering for 2-hour time slots. Jenkins announces health, safety protocols for reopening campus in the fall - June 9 Highlights: Guidance on classroom seating, daily health checks and a tentative schedule is discussed. University cancels study abroad - June 8 Highlights: Students who are no longer going abroad will be able to live off campus or participate in an on-campus housing lottery. Notre Dame announces plan to bring football players back to campus - June 5 Highlights: Football players can return to campus as soon as June 8, with voluntary workouts slated to begin June 22. Every player will be living in the Morris Inn. A football player later tested positive for COVID-19 after returning. Tri-campuscommunityannounces start to fall semester - Late May Highlights: All three schools announced classes would begin for the fall semester on Aug. 10, and would conclude before Thanksgiving for a shortened semester.