-

-

Fall semester updates: What you need to know

| Friday, June 26, 2020

The Observer has reported on numerous announcements from administrators across the tri-campus community regarding the reopening of the campuses for the 2020 fall semester. Here are some of the most important statements, all in one place:

Holy Cross outlines safety precautions for fall semester – July 2

Highlights: Holy Cross will follow Notre Dame’s lead in much of the coronavirus precautions. Additionally, all students will be required to undergo a COVID-19 test within ten days of going back to campus.

University releases plans for coronavirus testing – June 29

Highlights: All Notre Dame students who reside outside of St. Joseph County, as well as St. Joseph County residents who will live in Notre Dame residence halls will undergo free COVID-19 testing prior to the start of fall semester. The University is also putting together a COVID-19 Response Unit to oversee testing during the year.

Notre Dame announces plans to still host presidential debate – June 24

Highlights: The first debate will proceed Sept. 29 with significant modifications in light of the pandemic. Only a fraction of the expected visitors will be able to attend.

Erin Hoffmann Harding outlines policies and procedures for this fall – June 22

Highlights: Dates for Welcome Week, changes to dining hall meals, new meal plans and quarantine sites are announced.

Holy Cross sets move-in date – June 17

Highlights: Returning college students will move in Aug. 9, one day prior to the beginning of the fall semester. First year students will move in Aug. 7-8.

Saint Mary’s move-in – June 12

Highlights: The Belles will move in over the course of 6 days, with students to registering for 2-hour time slots.

Jenkins announces health, safety protocols for reopening campus in the fall – June 9

Highlights: Guidance on classroom seating, daily health checks and a tentative schedule is discussed.

University cancels study abroad – June 8

Highlights: Students who are no longer going abroad will be able to live off campus or participate in an on-campus housing lottery.

Notre Dame announces plan to bring football players back to campus – June 5

Highlights: Football players can return to campus as soon as June 8, with voluntary workouts slated to begin June 22. Every player will be living in the Morris Inn. A football player later tested positive for COVID-19 after returning.

Tri-campus community announces start to fall semester – Late May

Highlights: All three schools announced classes would begin for the fall semester on Aug. 10, and would conclude before Thanksgiving for a shortened semester.

About Observer Staff Report

Contact Observer Staff Report